Give & Go is Pacific's move-out event, co-sponsored by the Center for Civic Engagement, International Student Services, Housing & Residence Life, Facilities Management, and Auxiliary Services. Students are invited to donate unwanted items that will be reused by nonprofit organizations in western Washington County. The idea is to keep items out of the landfill and get them to people in need.
A community partner survey and evaluation of items most important to keep from the landfill determined what was collected. In 2013 these items included:
- 82 bags* of clothing
- 12 bags of shoes in good/excellent condition (plus 7 bags to be recycled)
- 8.5 bags of towels
- 25 bags of linens
- 33 medium bins of house wares
- 4 large bins of working electronics (plus 3 small bins to be recycled)
- 8 large bins of small appliances (plus 2 bins to be recycled)
- 7 large bins of cleaning supplies
- 23 medium bins of non-perishable food
- 8.5 medium bins of unopened toiletries
- 16 small bins school and craft supplies
- 26 small bins of books
*1 bag = 44 gallons
Read more about Give & Go.
A sustainable move-out will be most effective if it is preceded by a sustainable move-in, and education and action throughout the year pertaining to sustainability. Our efforts include reducing, reusing, and recycling, and an overall cultural shift away from over consumption and toward conservation and good stewardship of our resources.