Inclement Weather Conditions
Inclement weather conditions include weather that may affect travel, but that do not suspend university operations or place the campus communities in immediate danger. Examples include: heavy rain, wind or lightning storms in the area.
Communication Protocol for Inclement Weather
- Media Relations Director assesses information received by Campus Public Safety about weather conditions and determines which, if any, communication channels to employ (campus email, Boxer Alert, etc).
*Message Approval Protocol: Director of Media Relations writes and approves. We use boilerplate text created for similar situations on an ongoing basis. As needed, based on his/her discretion, the message will be approved by the Associate Vice-President of Marketing and Communications or the Vice-President of University Advancement.
Emergency Weather Conditions
Emergency weather conditions include weather that actively affects the safety of the campus community and/or university operations. Examples include: flooding on campus; snow or lightning storms on campus; natural disasters (earthquakes, fires, etc.); and other conditions on campus.
Emergency Weather Decision Process and Communication Procedures
- VP Finance/Administration (or his/her designee) and Provost consult with the Deans (Arts & Sciences, Optometry, Education, Health Professions, Business, Students) and Library Director before 6 a.m. [including weekends as needed] to determine the operating schedules for campuses (Forest Grove, Hillsboro, Eugene, Woodburn) and clinics (Dental, Ear, Eye, Physical Therapy, Psychology, Diabetes)
- After decisions for all locations are reached, VP Finance/Admin or designee informs Media Relations Director
- If at least one location is closed or delayed in opening, the Media Relations Director will issue a Boxer Alert message indicating affected locations, and post a single message containing information for all locations (both affected and unaffected locations) to the university website home page
- The headline link on the website will read "Pacific University Schedule Changes Due to Inclement Weather," forcing viewers to click the link to access the information for all sites. The website message headline will indicate updates by listing the time of day. (example: Pacific University Schedule Changes Due to Inclement Weather - updated 7:30 a.m.)
- If there is a discussion about changes in the hours of operation due to inclement weather, and the decision is made to open for normal business hours, a message indicating such will be posted to the university website home page
- If there is not a discussion about changes in the hours of operation due to inclement weather and the decision is made to change the business hours, the university will communicate to constituents based on the current multi channel communication process
- If there is not a discussion at all (regardless of any inclement weather in the region), the university will not have any information posted on its website or otherwise communicated
- Email and Boxer Alerts messages will be separate from the website message and will only be used to convey closures or delays. These messages will contain only information specific to the recipient's location
- News Media: Only messages of closures or delays will be communicated to Portland news media. The College of Education's Eugene campus handles media notification in the Eugene-Springfield area. Following are television and radio media that announce weather-related closures and delays
Portland Area Broadcast Media
TV Stations: KATU 2 (ABC), KGW 8 (NBC), KOIN 6 (CBS), KPTV 12 (FOX)
Radio Stations: KEX AM 1190, KPAM AM 860, KUIK AM 1360, OPB FM 91.5, KXL FM 101.1
Eugene Area Broadcast Media
TV Stations: KEZI 9 (ABC), KMTR 16 (NBC), KVAL 13 (CBS)
Radio Stations: KLCC FM 89.7, KPNW AM 1120, KUGN AM 590
Related Web Resources
or call 800-977-6368 (toll-free within Oregon)