All submissions to the IRB must be submitted via IRBNet. This includes all proposals (for Full, Expedited, or Exempt review), Authorization Agreements, Requests for Determination of IRB Jurisdiction, and Post-Approval Requests (Continuing Reviews, Modifications, Project Closures, and Incident Reports).
Preparing a New Submission to the IRB
Create and IRBNet account.
- Go to IRBNet and create a new profile with your Pacific University email address. Be sure to associate your profile with Pacific University. Use the IRBNet training resources on the IRB's homepage for additional assistance.
Complete human subjects research training and upload your certificate and information to your User Profile in IRBNet (upper right hand corner).
Prepare your study documentation.
- Refer to Forms and Templates (insert link) for a description of the various IRB forms, instructions for completing the forms, and templates of well-prepared proposals (coming soon!).
- All IRB documents are housed within IRBNet. You can access all forms by clicking on Forms and Templates at the bottom of the blue sidebar. Download the necessary forms pertaining to your study.
NOTE: The new PDF documents may not open easily on your computer. If this is the case, please follow the following steps:
- Launch Adobe Reader. Make sure you have the current version of Adobe Reader.
- Find Open, then search for the document where you have saved it (in Downloads, Desktop, etc.).
The PDF form should open when following these steps. The IRB is unable to provide the document in any other format.
Create an IRBNet package.
- Click on "Create New Project" on the left hand side of the page.
IRBNet will assign your project a unique IRBNet number. [NOTE: Once you have submitted your project via IRBNet, the IRB office will also assign an internal IRB Number.]
Designer: Upload your study documentation.
- When submitting, you will have the New Proposal PDF, as well as supporting letters, authorizations, study measures, etc., depending on the nature of your study.
Do not put all documentation in one single file. Please leave the PDF proposal as is.
Share your study.
- All members of your research team must be shared on your project. This includes investigators, co-investigators, faculty advisors, or research assistants.
- If you wish, you can send a quick email to these individuals through the IRBNet system informing them that the study is ready for their review and electronic signatures.
- All investigators that will be directly interacting with participant and/or participant data must be shared on the study. Sharing your study allows others to sign the package.
- Students must share their studies with their faculty advisors. Faculty advisors must review all study documentation with their students before studies are submitted via IRBNet. If studies consistently are incomplete or poorly prepared, it will impact your standing with the IRB.
Note: To share a study with others, they must be register with IRBNet and activate their accounts. Please ask all members of your research team to register on IRBNet and upload their NIH/CITI certification.
Sign your study.
- All investigators, research assistants, and faculty advisors must sign the package.
- Faculty advisors must sign all student studies before the IRB will review a submission.
- This step is mandatory. Your electronic signature is accepted as a legal signature. Your proposal will not be reviewed until all signatures are provided.
By signing this IRBNet package, each investigator is certifying all listed on the signature page, and confirming that all conflicts of interest have been disclosed in the proposal.
- Submit your study.
- After all signatures have been obtained, submit your study. Be sure to select Pacific University Institutional Review Board (IRB), Forest Grove, Ore. from the available drop-down menu or your study will not be sent to the appropriate review board. Make sure the you have not selected the Pacific University IACUC or IBC.
- If you do not click "Submit this Package," the IRB will not be notified of your submissioon.
- You made it!
- You may review your study to see what has been sent. Your study will be under "Pending Review" status until the review has been completed.
- An electronic IRBNet notification will be sent to your email confirming that the package has been submitted to the IRB.
- Once the IRB has processed your study for initial review, you will receive an "Acknowledged" notification. Other notifications you receive throughout the process may be Forwarded (sent to other reviewers), Referred to Full Board (for studies requiring review by the full board), Information Required (revisions needed), Exempt or Approved.
Preparing an Additional Package for a Previously-Submitted Project in IRBNet
[instructions coming soon]