Fall 2014 - UG Transition Admits*

*UG Transition Admits are undergraduate international students that are yet to satisfy the university English language proficiency requirement.

Congratulations on your admission to Pacific University!

We look forward to meeting you soon in friendly Forest Grove, Oregon. Please read all email communications from Pacific very carefully and follow all instructions.

Stay in touch with us often. Good communication is the most important first step! Please click on the links below for Important Information as you prepare to arrive at Pacific University.



The Next Steps




Important Dates (for Fall 2014 students)



Frequently Asked Questions


Registering for Classes

Q: How do I choose my first-semester classes?

A: You will meet with an advisor during Orientation to choose your classes. Your classes will depend on your TOEFL/IELTS score. It is optional to take a TOEFL or IELTS before arriving at Pacific. If you do, please send us an official copy of your score. During Orientation, you will take a paper TOEFL test. The full name of this exam is the "Institutional TOEFL". We recommend you take a practice test before arriving at Pacific University. We will use your best score to place you in classes that match your English language ability. Both your ESL classes and your regular academic classes will give you college credit toward graduation Please see here for details about test scores and class placement.

Please Note: Did you already study at a college or university, anywhere in the world, even for just one semester? Make sure that college or university sends Pacific an official transcript with your final course grades by July 1. If that college or university is outside the U.S., you will also need to apply for a WES evaluation of your college transcript before you register for classes at Pacific. For questions about transferring your credits to Pacific, please look here.


Arrival on Campus

Q: When should I arrive?

A: You should arrive in Portland Oregon on August 17 or 18, 2014. The required orientation starts on August 19, 2014. See our school calendar here.

Q: Can someone from Pacific University meet me at Portland International Airport (PDX)?

A: Yes, if you arrive during certain times on certain dates. Please ask us for those dates and times before you make your travel plans. After you make your travel plans, please use the online arrival form to request airport pick up. The airport pickup arranged by Pacific University is a FREE SERVICE.

Q: Where can my family stay when they visit Forest Grove?

A: There are several hotel options in the Forest Grove area, as well as nearby Hillsboro and Beaverton. If you’re staying in Forest Grove, mention that you are visiting Pacific University. Several local hotels offer discounts for Pacific University visitors.


Housing Options

Q: Do I have a choice of housing?

A: Students who finished high school less than two years ago are required to stay in a university residence hall (dormitory). Older students can also stay on campus, in a dormitory, OR then can live off campus in a private apartment or homestay. Note: Pacific University does not arrange off-campus housing or homestays for students. Usually, on-campus housing is not available for married students or students over 25 years old. Students interested in a homestay should contact the homestay provider directly. To learn about local apartments, look here.

Q: How do I apply for a dormitory room?

A: We will send you instructions to apply online. Please note: You can apply for dormitory room anytime, but your application will not be processed until you pay your US $ 200 housing deposit.

Q: If I live in a dormitory, when will I know who my roommate is?

A: You’ll receive your roommate’s contact information by post or email after registering for classes.

Q: What will my dormitory room look like?

A: We have a variety of room styles. Feel free to check the housing website for floor plans.

Q: What furniture will be provided in my room?

A: Each room is equipped with a bed (twin extra-long or twin), desk, chair, closet, and shelving per student.

Q: When can I move in to my room?
A: You’ll move into your room one or two days before orientation.

Q: What should I bring?

A: We’ve got a checklist for you to use as you start packing and shopping for your room. Want some advice from current students?

Q: Can I mail a few boxes to campus before I move in?

A: YES. Please address your boxes to:

Your Name
(New Student)
c/o International Programs UC A153
Pacific University
2043 College Way
Forest Grove, OR 97116, U.S.A.

More questions about housing and residence life at Pacific? Check out their FAQs.


Dining Plan

Q: How do I purchase a Meal Plan?

A: If you are a younger student (usually 18-20 years old), you will be assigned a dormitory room WITHOUT a kitchen and you will automatically have a meal plan (it is required). The charge for this meal plan will be included on your student bill. If you are an older student and assigned a dormitory room WITH a kitchen, a meal plan is optional. You can purchase an optional meal plan at the Student Life Office. For more details, visit our Dining Services website FAQs.

Q: What are the hours for the dining hall?


Breakfast: 7:30-10:30 am

Lunch: 11 am-2 pm

Dinner: 5-8 pm

Saturday & Sunday

Brunch from 11 am-1 pm

Dinner from 5-6:30pm

The Boxer Bistro (café and convenience store) in the University Center is typically open during the following hours*:

Monday-Friday: 7:30 am-midnight

Saturday & Sunday: 9 am-midnight

*Hours may change. Check the Dining Services Website to confirm.


Financial/Payment Information

Q: When will I pay my fees?

A: Your first billing statement will be sent to you by email or post. You will receive one paper statement at the beginning of each semester and electronic statements will be sent each month after that.

Q: Can I pay tuition with a credit card?

A: Yes, we accept American Express, Visa Master Card, and Discover. There is a non-refundable service fee for credit card users. If you need assistance, please email the Business Office at cashiering@pacificu.edu

Q: What are my payment options?

A: We offer two payment plans:

1) Semester pay option: allows you to pay each semester in-full before each semester begins.

2) Monthly pay option: allows you to pay each semester’s charge in 4 equal payments. There is $30 per semester fee for this option. The Business Office has more information about payments.

Q: Can I use my own private health insurance?

A: Students are required to have coverage through Pacific’s student health plan unless they are eligible for a waiver. Waiver approval is not automatic, and is based on students having health insurance from a specific source. For more information about Pacific’s health insurance & waiver eligibility, please contact intlprograms@pacificu.edu.

Health insurance waiver forms must be completed 2 weeks before the start of your study.

Q: How do I pay for my books?

A: Books are usually purchased individually, after you arrive on campus. The campus bookstore accepts cash, checks, and credit cards. It is also possible to rent your text books at a reduced fee.

Q: What kind of school supplies will I need for class?

A: Supplies will depend on specific classes. Please check with your professors after you arrive on campus.


Technology Needs

Q: What kind of computer should I bring?

A: A laptop computer is highly recommended. Please check here for recommendations about buying a computer.

Q: What kind of software should I install on my computer?

A: Please check here for recommendations about software.

Q: Can I print documents using university printers?

A: Yes. Each student is given $60/year at the start of school in August ($30/semester) of free printing on university networked printers. If you print more than $30 worth per semester, your student account will be billed for the excess amount. If you do not use your full $30/semester worth of printing, your balance will be carried over through the end of the school year. If you want to bring your own printer to campus, an inkjet printer will work fine.

Q: What kind of network does the campus offer?

A: Every residence hall room has a wired Ethernet plugin at each student desk. In addition, wireless internet access is available in each building on campus as well as some outdoor areas. University Information Services can help you configure your laptop for wireless access.

Q: Is there technology help in the residence halls?

A: There are two student Network Assistants living in each dormitory. It is usually easy to find them, day or night. Also, you can contact the Technology Information Center during daytime working hours for help with computer problems.



Helpful Links and Resources


Advising Center Billing and Student Accounts
Campus Public Safety Career Development Center
Dining Services Forest Grove Chamber of Commerce
Health Center Housing and Residence Life
Parent Support Office Pacific Information Center (PIC)
Registrar Transfer Student Services
TriMet (public transportation)  




Contact Us