College of Education: Frequently Asked Questions About Financial Aid

How do I apply for financial aid?

   To apply for federal financial aid, please file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You can file a FAFSA online at Pacific's school code is 003212. Step-by-step instructions are provided on this website. It is very important to submit this form to the federal government as soon as possible after January 1st. Do not wait to be accepted into a program to apply for financial aid. Even if you have not filed your taxes, you can still apply for aid using estimated income information. You can always correct information after you file your application.

I've already submitted my FAFSA to Pacific. When will I receive a financial aid award?

   Before you can be awarded financial aid, the Office of Financial Aid needs to receive your academic calendar and official notification of your admission from the College of Education. Once we receive this information from the College of Education and a valid FAFSA from you, we can award financial aid to you.

What kind of financial aid does Pacific offer?

   The following sources of financial aid are available to education students who file a FAFSA in a timely basis. Not all students are eligible for every category of aid. Please note: To qualify for federal financial aid, you must be enrolled for at least six credit hours and meet federal eligibility requirements.

Sources of financial aid for undergraduate students:

Sources of financial aid for graduate students:

Sources of financial aid for both graduate and undergraduate students:

What is the difference between a Subsidized and an Unsubsidized Stafford Loan?

   Subsidized Stafford loans are awarded to students based on financial need. Interest does not accrue on the principle balance of your loan while you are in school.

   Unsubsidized Stafford loans are not awarded on the basis of financial need. Interest accrues on the principle balance of your loan while you are in school.

Are there other kinds of loans available?

   Most students in graduate programs require additional resources above Federal Stafford loans to cover living expenses. Realistically assessing your income and expenses while you are in school will help you plan and borrow as conservatively as possible.

   Alternative loans are more expensive than federal student loans. If you wish to seek an alternative loan, the Financial Aid Office can provide a comparison brochure to help you select the right loan for you. In order to qualify for an alternative student loan, you must complete an application process separate from the FAFSA and complete a credit check.

My financial aid award is larger than my tuition charges. Why?

   Your financial aid award is based on a budget created for students in your program. This budget is based on estimated costs for books, rent, food, loan fees, travel and miscellaneous expenses in addition to your tuition costs. As such, your award may be in excess of charges to your student account.

If I receive a financial aid award in excess of the charges to my student account, will I be issued a refund?

   The Business Office will issue you a refund check if there are funds left in your student account after all charges have cleared.

Can I buy my books with my refund?

   You can use your refund for any educational or living expenses. Please note: your refund check will not be prepared on or before the first day of classes. You should be prepared to purchase books with your own funds when you arrive on campus or make arrangements with the Business Office prior to the start of classes.

I'm taking classes at Lane Community College that count toward my Pacific degree. Will I receive financial aid from Pacific for these classes?

   If you are taking additional courses at Lane Community College that count toward your Pacific degree, we can increase your cost of attendance to include the tuition costs for these classes. You will need to provide documentation of those costs to the Office of Financial Aid, after which you would then be eligible for additional loan funds. These classes will not count as part of your enrollment status however (full-time vs. part-time), so you would not be eligible for additional grant money. It is highly recommended that all aid be applied for through Pacific University. If you request your additional financial aid through LCC instead of Pacific, we will have to reduce your aid here to compensate for federal regulations.

I heard I don't have to pay on my undergraduate student loans while I pursue my graduate degree. Is this true?

   Yes, this is true. If you received student loans as an undergraduate, make sure that you have submitted all necessary deferral paperwork to the Registrar's Office so that they can notify your lender(s) that you have returned to school. Do not assume that "it's all taken care of" just by having registered for classes.

What if I don't want to use the loans? Will this hurt my opportunity for using them in the future?

   If there is any part of your financial aid award that you do not want, simply cross out the aid you do not want to accept. Then sign and return one copy of the award letter to the Office of Financial Aid. We will cancel any part of the award that you decline. This will not prevent you from being considered for loans and work in the future.

I have more questions about financial aid. Who do I contact?

   The Financial Aid Counselor for the College of Education is Shesna Calkins. She can be reached via phone at: (503) 352-3095 or 1-877-722-8648 ext. 3095 or via email at You can reach the Office of Financial Aid via phone at (503) 352-2222 or 1-877-722-8648 ext. 2222 or via email at