A focal study is a set of related courses, usually three. Each student must complete two Focal Studies, and all courses must be completed with a grade of C- or better. All normal course prerequisites apply.
- Select your focal studies choices to see instructions and course options for each focal study
- Select 2 focal studies to pursue
- Submit Focal Studies Declaration form (pdf) to the Advising Center
- Start taking courses that fulfill your focal studies
Instructions for all Focal Studies
Keep in mind the following instructions for all focal studies.
- A focal study must include at least three courses (with the exception of 49 - The Study Abroad Experience) and at least 10 credits
- Among all of a student’s focal studies courses, excluding 49 - The Study Abroad Experience, no more than 8 credits may come from the same disciplinary prefix
- The same course may not be taken for credit toward more than one of a student’s focal studies
- A focal study may not include HUM 100, ENGW 201, ENGW 202, math courses numbered below 165 or any foreign language course at the 101 or 102 levels; it may include other courses used by the student to fulfill major, minor or other core requirements