Once you have decided Pacific University's School of Dental Health Science is what you are looking for, the next step is to request an application packet from the Office of Graduate & Professional Admissions. You do not need to have completed specific program prerequisite course requirements when you apply, but they must be finished before entering the program.
How to Prepare
The School of Dental Health Science faculty believe academic coursework along with life experiences build a strong foundation for success in a professional program. Both your educational and extracurricular activities should provide opportunities to gain the knowledge and skills necessary for pursuing a degree in dental health.
The admission process required for enrollment into the School of Dental Health Science involves two steps:
- Review of your application by the Admissions Committee
- An on-campus interview for all qualified applicants
Dental Hygiene Program
The Dental Hygiene Admissions Committee will consider the following factors in the selection process:
- Strength and breadth of academic record
- A minimum of a 2.5 GPA in the Sciences and Last 45 credits is required to enter the program.
- Prior dental or health care experience
- At least 30 hours of observation or experience in a dental setting are required. Ten of those hours need to be at a public health setting such as a dental school clinic, dental hygiene school clinic, or other public health clinic. If you have further questions, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Letters of evaluation
- Two letters of evaluation are required and it is recommended that one be from a dental professional and one from an academic source.
- Content of application forms and care with which they have been completed
- Quality of writing ability as demonstrated by personal narrative
- Understanding of the dental hygiene profession
- Type of community activities
- Strength of on-campus personal interview
Based on the review of the application by the Dental Hygiene Admissions Committee, applicants will be invited for on-campus personal interviews. The interview is required and is a strong contributing factor in the admission decision. It allows the Admissions Committee to assess essential skills and factors which may not be reflected in the application. In the interview, consideration is given to knowledge of the profession, motivation toward a career as a dental hygienist, ability to think clearly and logically, self-confidence and verbal expression of ideas.