Dental Hygiene Program Prerequisites
Interested in having us take a look at your current coursework and give you some feedback? Click here to visit our Transcript Evaluation page.
Wondering which of your classes will transfer into our program? Click here to download an unofficial transfer guide for most Oregon and Washington colleges and universities. This transfer guide also includes institutions in Idaho, California, and Arizona. Transfer guides for institutions not listed may be available. Please contact DHS Admissions at (800) 933-9308 or email@example.com for more information.
The following courses must be completed prior to starting the dental hygiene program. All prerequisite courses must be completed with a grade of "C" or higher. Natural Science and Statistics courses should be taken within the last seven years.
Natural Science - 14 semester credits or 20 quarter credits
- Chemistry with lab - 1 course
- Microbiology - 1 course
- Human Anatomy & Physiology with lab - Full Year-Long Series
Communication - 6 semester credits or 8 quarter credits
- English Composition or Writing - 1 course
- Interpersonal Communication - 1 course
- English/Writing/Communication Elective - 1 course (if needed to complete required credits)
Social Sciences - 6 semester credits or 8 quarter credits
- Psychology - 1 course
- Sociology - 1 course
- Psychology/Sociology Elective - 1 course (if needed to complete required credits)
Statistics - 3 semester credits or 3 quarter credits
- Statistics - 1 course (It is recommended that this be taken from a department of psychology, sociology, statistics or mathematics)
Arts - 3 semester credits or 3 quarter credits
- Art, Music OR Theater - 1 course
Humanities - 8 semester credits or 12 quarter credits
- Ethics, History, Language, Literature, Media Arts, Philosophy AND/OR Religion - approximately 5 courses
Nutrition - 2 semester credits or 2 quarter credits
Spanish - 3 semester credits or 3 quarter credits
Medical Terminology - 1 class
- You must have completed a minimum total of 48 semester hours prior to starting the dental hygiene program.
- For credits to be counted, the course must be 100-level or higher.
Credit Conversion Information:
Quarter Hour x .667 = Semester Hour
Example A: 3 Quarter Hours x .667 = 2 Semester Hours
Example B: 4 Quarter Hours x .667 = 2.67 Semester Hours
If you have questions about specific prerequisite requirements, please contact DHS Admissions at (800) 933-9308 firstname.lastname@example.org