Accreditation | Audiology

Program Accreditation Status

The doctoral AuD program in audiology at Pacific University is a Candidate for Accreditation by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA) of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2200 Research Boulevard #310, Rockville, Maryland 20850, 800-498-2071 or 301-296-5700.

Candidacy is a "pre-accreditation" status with the CAA, awarded to developing or emerging programs for a maximum period of five years.

University Accreditation Status

Pacific University is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). For more information in the University's accreditation, see For more information in the NWCCU, see

What is CAA candidacy accreditation? 

The Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA) provides the opportunity for new programs seeking accreditation status to participate in its candidacy, or pre-accreditation, program. Initiated in 1991 and last revised in 2007, the CAA's current "stepwise" candidacy model allows new programs to come into compliance with the CAA Standards for Accreditation in a logical sequence while being closely monitored by the CAA. Once candidacy status has been awarded, the program must submit annual progress reports to demonstrate continued and progressive compliance with standards, including appropriate supporting documentation. Programs with candidacy accreditation may enroll and graduate students.

How can I get more information about the CAA and its accreditation standards?

More information on the CAA and its accreditation standards may be obtained by doing one of the following:

  • Accessing the documents on the CAA’s Web site:
  • Contacting the CAA office at ASHA’s headquarters: 2200 Research Blvd, #310, Rockville, MD 20850
  • Calling ASHA's Action Center: 800-498-2071

Why did Pacific University choose CAA accreditation instead of ACAE accreditation?

The Oregon Administrative Rules for audiology (and speech-language pathology) licensure stipulate: The State of Oregon stipulates that: “(4) For the purposes of licensing speech-language pathologists under ORS 681.260 or audiologists under ORS 681.264, and for purposes of student placement in supervised field work under ORS 681.230: (a) the “accrediting organization” that approves graduate programs is the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA) of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.” (See Secretary of State website ). Further, the State of Oregon requires that a degree, in order to be valid for public or licensed employment in Oregon, must be earned at an institution accredited by an U.S. accreditor recognized as such by the U.S. Department of Education (Oregon Student Access Commission). The Accreditation Commission for Audiology Education (ACAE) is not currently recognized by the State of Oregon. The ACAE’s status may change in the future, but, at this time, only the CAA is recognized.

Can I get licensed as an audiologist if I graduate from a program with candidacy accreditation?

There are no known issues with licensure based on our program’s accreditation status.  Our accreditation status is “candidate” instead of “full” but the degree is still a valid degree, which the university is accredited to offer under the university’s NWCCU accreditation.  Any applicant for licensure, of course, needs to meet all of the licensure requirements of an individual state (e.g., passing score on the national exam, satisfactory background check, etc.).  It is an applicant’s responsibility to research licensing requirements for the state in which they would like to practice.

What is the procedure for submitting a complaint to the CAA about a program?

Per the CAA requirements, a complaint about any accredited program or program in candidacy status may be submitted to the CAA by any student, instructional staff member, speech-language pathologist, audiologist, and/or member of the public. Complaints must:

  • Be against an accredited graduate education program or program in candidacy status in audiology and/or speech language pathology;
  • Relate to the Standards for Accreditation of Entry-Level Graduate Education Programs in Audiology and Speech Language Pathology; and
  • Clearly describe the specific nature of the conduct being complained about, which must have occurred at least in part within five years of the date the complaint is filed, the relationship of the complaint to the accreditation standards, and provide supporting data for the charge.

Further, complaints must:

  • Include verification, if the complaint is from a student or faculty/instructional staff member, that the complainant exhausted all pertinent institutional grievance and review mechanisms before submitting a complaint to the CAA;
  • Include the complainant's name, address, and telephone contact information and the complainant's relationship to the program in order for the Accreditation Office staff to verify the source of the information; and
  • Be signed and submitted in writing via U.S. mail, overnight courier, or hand-delivery to the following address: Chair, Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2200 Research Boulevard, #310, Rockville, MD 20850.