Every year, the Vision Science MS Program welcomes admission applications from students keen on the value of vision research. If you are considering a career in vision science, you are encouraged to apply. Feel free to contact us with any questions.
Online application will be available in the near future. For now, please submit all your application materials by surface mail before the deadlines specified below.
General applicant deadline
- March 15 every year
General applications to the MSVS program are accepted from Sept. 1 through March 15. Early application will be reviewed and an interview will be arranged within one month upon receiving the application documents.
Application deadlines for OD/MS concurrent degree application*
- Dec. 1 for the current second-year OD students
- April 1 for the current first-year OD students
Students who are currently enrolled in Pacific University Doctor of Optometry Program can apply for the dual OD/MS degrees.
The preferred application deadlines are scheduled to allow OD/MS students to graduate with both OD and MS in VS degrees concurrently. If currently enrolled in our OD program, applicant can also apply after the above preferred deadlines; however, it may not be plausible to receive the MS degree concurrently with your OD degree.
Applicants for the OD/MS dual degrees need to earn a minimum of a “B” in five OD courses: Opt 503, 531, 532, 662, 701 or their equivalent to be admitted/continue in the MS program. Potential OD/MS applicants can seek advice from the Associate Dean for Academic Programs.
The Vision Science Program Committee may choose to accept applications at other time.
Required Application Materials
To be eligible for consideration by the Vision Science MS Program Committee, your application and all accompanying materials must be received no later than the above deadlines to be considered.
Applicants from an institute with MOU or special arrangements established with Pacific University College of Optometry should contact the program director, Dr. Yu-Chi Tai at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
For all other applicants, your application package should include the following items:
- A completed MSVS Application Form (pdf)
- Curriculum vitae or resume
Two letters of recommendation, at least one from a class instructor
- The recommendation letters should be written on official letterhead with signature of the recommender
The recommendation letters can be sent in two ways:
- Provide a self-addressed, stamped envelope to each individual who provides you a recommendation. Ask each to enclose the letter of recommendation in the envelope, sign it across the seal, and return the envelope to you. Include these envelopes, with seals unbroken and the signatures intact, with your other application materials.
- Recommender(s) can submit a signed letter of recommendation on official letter as an email attachment sent directly from the recommender to the Office of Graduate Admission at email@example.com.
- An application essay
Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Waived if the applicant is a current student or alumnus of Pacific University College of Optometry
- Doctor of Optometry course catalog/class syllabi
- Prerequisite worksheet (included in the application form page 7)
Proof of English proficiency
You may satisfy this requirement by certifying that one of the following conditions has been met:
- Meet the minimal requirement on a standardized English Language Proficiency Test listed on admission requirements
- Have official documentation from the institution verifying that the applicant's undergraduate degree is from an institution where all instruction is in English. The undergraduate degree must be equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree.
- Have a bachelor or a graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or from countries where English is both the only official language of the country and the language of instruction.
- A current student or alumnus of Pacific University College of Optometry
- You may satisfy this requirement by certifying that one of the following conditions has been met:
Applied only if you have an OD degree from an ACOE accredited optometry college and are interested in the one-year post-OD MS program; You must meet the following conditions:
- With cumulative grade point average (GPA) 3.0 or better from your OD program
Qualified for Oregon OD license
- Exempted if you have a bachelor degree or higher in Optometry or related field
- Please fill the Prerequisite Worksheet on the application form based on your final official transcript
- English proficiency is required for all applicants whose native language is not English
- Conditional admission may be given without report of English proficiency, but requirement of English proficiency must be met before matriculation into the program
Application fee (US$40)
- Waived for applicants of current students or alumni of Pacific University College of Optometry
International Credentials Evaluation
- For applicants of graduates of international college and universities only
- Please arrange for the evaluation received by the application deadline to facilitate the review process
- Course description, course syllabi and/or a course catalog may be requested on a case by case basis
- After initial review of completed application, the Vision Science Program Committee may contact the promising candidates for a interview through video-conference interface (e.g., Skype)
The Vision Science Program Committee will make the final decisions on other waiver and conditions of any application requirements.