ESL Bridge Program
What is the ESL Bridge Program?
The ESL Bridge Program is for students who want to enter a 4-year degree program at Pacific University after the ESL program. It is a special program that helps students easily move from all ESL classes to undergraduate classes. Student who do this are ELI Transition students. The ESL Bridge Program lets ELI Transition students take freshman classes, for Pacific University credit, while taking advanced ESL classes. This program prepares students to succeed in the undergraduate program at Pacific University.
Who Can Join the ESL Bridge Program?
Students who score TOEFL iBT 53 (cBT 152, paper TOEFL 475) or more, can be an ELI Transition student and enter the ESL Bridge Program.
The ESL Bridge Program classes include three levels:
- Advanced ESL Classes - These are academic ESL classes for advanced language students. Students get 1.5 credits each semester after successful completion.
- ELI Transition Classes - These are college prep classes that teach students how to succeed in an American-style university. Students learn how to write college essays, listen to lectures, speak about academic topics, and learn tips to succeed in undergraduate classes.
- ELI Transition students can take one ELI Transition Class per semester. Students get up to 3 credits each semester after successful completion.
- Transition Undergraduate Classes - Students who have a TOEFL score of iBT 61-69 (cBT 177-192, paper TOEFL 500-524), can take one undergraduate class with two other ELI Transitions Classes. An ELI instructor attends classes with the ELI Transition students to guide them through undergraduate assignments, projects, and to help these students better understand lectures.
- Students with a TOEFL score of iBT 70-78 (cBT 193-212, paper TOEFL 525-549), can take another undergraduate class without an ELI instructor. ELI Transition students can get up to 9 Pacific University credits per semester for these undergraduate classes.
How do students finish the ESL Bridge Program?
When ELI Transition students have a TOEFL score of iBT 79 (cBT 213, paper TOEFL 550), they can leave the ESL Bridge Program and take undergraduate classes full-time.
ELI Transition students can get up to 20 Pacific University credits in the ESL Bridge Program. These credits can be used toward graduation at Pacific University.