Advising & Support
The English Language Institute (ELI) is part of the Office of International Programs. Office staff help all international students studying at Pacific.
- give academic advice.
- answer immigration questions.
- help with culture adjustment.
- help with personal concerns.
A staff member is on-call 24 hours a day in case of emergencies.
The Office of International Programs is in Scott Hall at the center of campus. Office staff help students weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Evening appointments can also be made.
All new international students go to orientation. The orientation helps new students learn about the many places and services on campus to help make students' Pacific experience a great one.
- information about daily living in the USA: housing, banking, safety, and healthcare.
- activities to show students the university, Forest Grove, and the Portland metro area.
- information about immigration rules by the U.S. government.
- information about the US American university classroom.
- information about health rules by the university.
- tests to place students in the best ESL levels.
The ELI offers an Institutional TOEFL paper based test (PBT). This test is given seven times a year. The cost is $30. Students must register five weeks before each test date.
The Institutional PBT TOEFL:
- provides practice in many of the skills on the the iBT TOEFL.
- shows ELI instructors how students are improving their English skills.
- helps ELI instructors place students in the best ESL levels.
- makes undergraduate admission to Pacific University easier for ELI students who wish to be an undergraduate student at Pacific.
Visit the ETS website to get more information about the TOEFL.