Assignment feature in Moodle makes it very easy for students to submit their assignment files to instructors. It includes excellent features that make it easy for instructors to receive, manage and return those files back to students along with the feedback.
1. In the upper right hand corner, click the Turn editing on button:
2. Next click Add an activity or Resource on the course front page within an topic or a week field:
3. Add a title in the assignment name box and add the assignment details in the description box:
4. Select appropriate for your assignment values in Assignment Settings block. These settings will determine when students will be able to submit the assignment, due dates, etc. You can find the full description of each component for Assignemnt Settings block at docs.moodle.org/24/en/Assignment_settings#Assignment_settings
5. Next block called Submission Settings controls how students will submit the assignment: whether they submit an independent file or type their assignment directly into Moodle, etc. Full description of Submission Settings is at docs.moodle.org/24/en/Assignment_settings#Submission_settings
6. The block called Feedback Settings controls how instructors will give feedback to students. Full description of Feedback Settings is at docs.moodle.org/24/en/Assignment_settings#Feedback_settings
7. Determine how the assignment will be graded in Grade Settings. Full description of Grade Settings is at docs.moodle.org/24/en/Assignment_settings#Grade
8. The last two blocks, Common Module Settings and Restrict Access, give you ability to turn on group submission and create some restrictions for students accessing the assignment. Full descriptions:
Common Module Settings - docs.moodle.org/24/en/Assignment_settings#Common_module_settings;
Restrict Access - docs.moodle.org/24/en/Assignment_settings#Restrict_access_settings.
9. Once all appropriate settings are selected and set, click "Save and Return to course"