Different Assignment types
There are four standard assignment types that all serve different purposes. They are explained below:
- Advanced Uploading of files - students can submit one or several items such as word-processed documents with a note to their teacher. The teacher can comment on and send back the uploaded file.
- Online text - students can type their response directly into Moodle using the Text editor.
- Upload a single file - students typically submit one piece of work such as a word-processed document or presentation.
- Offline assignment - not a "true" assignment but a place for a teacher to add grades to work done outside of Moodle.
Creating Assignments in Moodle
The process of adding assignments on Moodle doesn’t vary much with the different assignment types.
- Begin by choosing what type of assignment you would like to create based on the descriptions of the assignment types above.
- Once you have decided, select your assignment type under the drop down menu labeled “Add an activity”. The four options will look almost identical except in each one there will be a box for the assignment type where you do everything that is unique to that type of assignment.
- Add a title in the assignment name box and add the assignment details in the description box.
- Scrolling down this page a little ways, you will notice the difference between the steps to making the four different assignment types. For the “Advance uploading of files” type, make sure you specify the maximum number of files for the assignment. For both file uploading types of assignments, make sure that the maximum size of files is large enough for the type of files that will be submitted for the assignment. For the offline assignments, there are no extra steps. For the other three types, make sure to read over the specific settings to make sure they are set correctly the way that you want them to be.
- Finish up by clicking “Save and return to course”. When viewing the assignments from the instructor’s view, even if you switch into student view from your page, you will not be able to see the links to upload files. If you were to log on to a student’s page, you would be able to see the upload file link.