Setting up the Layout of your Moodle Site
Moodle has four basic layouts that can be applied to a course site. On this page, we will go over how to choose a layout and then modify it so that it will meet the needs of your class.
Choosing a layout or format for your site:
1. On the left side of page, look for the box labeled Settings and then choose Edit Settings (note: you may need to expand the Course administration heading to find the Edit Settings link).
2. Scroll down until you find the category Format. The two most common formats are the Weekly format (where the site is automatically divided by weeks) and the Topic format (where the instructor defines the section breaks).
3. The two other formats are used in very specific circumstances. The SCORM format is used if you have a custom-developed learning object. The Social format strips the site of most functionality and provides the user with a single discussion forum.
4. After choosing the layout format, be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Save changes.
Setting the Number of Weeks or Sections in your site:
1. Next, set your Course start date located just below the Weekly Format.
2. Go to the category Formating options for Weekly Format where you can choose the number of topics your course will cover or how many weeks the entire course will take. This will depend on whether you choose Topic Format or Weekly Format.
3. After choosing the number of sections, be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Save changes.
Setting the Availability of Your Site for Students
1. This setting determines whether the site is available to students. If the course is made unavailable, students will not see the site on their course list and will be unable to access it. To set it, scroll down past the Number of weeks/topics category and find the category labeled Availability.