LCPS: Strategic Goals
LCPS' strategic goals provide direction for the activities of the team. Objectives and activities related to these goals are set on a three-year cycle in recognition of exponential and unexpected changes in technology and the need to adapt accordingly.
Goal 1. Create and maintain digital collections of enduring value.
- Objective 1.1: Continue to build collections of faculty and student scholarship in CommonKnowledge.
- Objective 1.2: Build and manage collections in CommonKnowledge.
- Objective 1.3: Build and manage collections in ContentDM.
- Objective 1.4: Identify local & archival collections best suited for digitization/online dissemination.
Goal 2. Create policies and procedures for the development, production, management and preservation of digital content and metadata, technical workflow, quality control, and intellectual property issues.
- Objective 2.1: Undergraduate capstone policies/procedures.
- Objective 2.2: Collection management policy for digital collections.
- Objective 2.3: Policy/procedures for new journal creation/publication.
- Objective 2.4: Policy/procedures for monographic material publication in CK.
- Objective 2.5: Create guidelines/process/templates for formatting post-prints for addition to CK.
- Objective 2.6: Online ETD self-submission forms/process.
- Objective 2.7: Develop/find guidelines for how we approach copyright and intellectual property issues across all digital collections (strategy may vary based on type of content).
Goal 3. Provide leadership (within the Library and the University) in the research & development of new applications of technology relevant to digital collections and publishing.
- Objective 3.1: Formally assess software platforms for the display of digital collections (may include free trials, etc).
- Objective 3.2: Investigate software for online exhibitions.
- Objective 3.3: Investigate the feasibility/need for data curation support services.
- Objective 3.4: Provide qualitative and quantitative analysis of collection growth/use through data gathering and analysis.
- Objective 3.5: Investigate the utilization of unique identifiers in digital collections (particularly journals and other scholarly works).
- Objective 3.6: Develop budget and make recommendations on resources needed to support ongoing services.
Goal 4. Develop advocates and partnerships both internal and external to the University.
- Objective 4.1: Develop strong internal partners/advocates to increase the use and visibility of our collections.
- Objective 4.2: Develop internal opportunities for collaboration.
- Objective 4.3: Partner with local and regional institutions in the development of shared collections and coordination of shared resources/opportunities.
- Objective 4.4: Partner with local educational institutions for internship or practicum programs.
- Objective 4.5: Strategically market LCPS services and collections to target audiences both internal and external to the University.
Goal 5. Increase the visibility and use of local collections outside of the University.
- Objective 5.1: Investigate search engine optimization options.
- Objective 5.2: Investigate external linking possibilities.
- Objective 5.3: Identify opportunities to contribute metadata/finding aids to shared collections/resource portals.
- Objective 5.4: Identify opportunities to integrate local content with discovery/delivery tools and services.
Goal 6. Preserve the integrity and accessibility of materials held in digital and physical local collections.
- Objective 6.1: Investigate and implement digital preservation strategies and technologies.
- Objective 6.2: Implement and maintain best practices for use and preservation of archival materials.
- Objective 6.3: Implement standards-based metadata practices for all digital collections.
Goal 7. Manage continued growth of archival collections.
- Objective 7.1: Create retention schedule for University publications.
- Objective 7.2: Create access points for all archival materials.
Goal 8. Provide sustainable publishing services for the University and University partners.
- Objective 8.1: Identify sustainable support services for journal publication.
- Objective 8.2: Create service model for publication of new monographic materials.
Goal 9. Educate the University community about issues and practices related to publishing, digital collections and preservation.
- Objective 9.1: Promote open access as the preferred method of dissemination for locally held/created works (within the bounds of intellectual property law).
- Objective 9.2: Educate faculty about their rights as authors.
- Objective 9.3: Provide training in digital preservation for faculty and staff for personal collections.
- Objective 9.5: Educate students about publishing practices/opportunities.
- Objective 9.5: Educate faculty on the integration of digital collections into teaching.