Notes From Under the Oaks
When I was a student at Pacific I came across an archival photo of Walter Hall. I believe it was taken in the late 1950s or early 1960s. I remember being delighted at how the interior of the room had remained exactly the same from 1959 to 1999.
Of course the nature of college life changed quite a bit in those 40 years – for one thing my next-door neighbors were Russ and Gabe and the neighbors across the hall were Todd and Stuart. I think the women of Walter Hall 1959 might have found this a tad shocking.
Recently our friends in Facilities unearthed a treasure trove from the history of Walter.
Apparently there’s some work being done involving the removal of furniture. This resulted in a whole pile of interesting items including:
- 20 assorted photographs
- 9 photographs of high school sweethearts complete with handwritten inscriptions
- 2 postcards (one Katherine sent to Spencer Rockwell ’00 while she was visiting Japan)
- A sticker for Powell’s City of Books
- A 1985 sticker for Coors Light beer wolf
- A letter to Kurt from his Gram
- A 1983 receipt from Fred Meyer – a loaf of bread cost $1.12
- 2 coupons for Ponds Beauty Cream
- A 1974 Tri-Met Route Map
- A 1987 Boxer Football schedule
- A syllabus from Marsh Lee’s spring 1981 Western Civilization class
- A ticket to the 21st Annual Luau
- Not one, but two of Margaret Swanson’s meal cards (fall 1967and spring 1969)
- A Pacific University phone card
Also: William Hopper, Necole Landry, Max Montano, Martha Leinweber – we found your student ID cards! We also found a Hawaii state ID card for Starr Muramaru, a Forest Grove Library card for Cherie Cockram and a health plan card for Jennifer Harrington.
All of this makes me curious to hear stories of life in Walter Hall (and all the dorms).
Did you ever lose anything you wish could be found?
Did you bring photos of your hometown or your high school friend and pin them up?
Were you at the 1981 Luau or did you follow the Boxer Rebellion in 1987?
Did you live in Walter Hall when it was women only or McCormick when it was men only?
Do you think any of the items above are yours and would you like them back?
As always, please keep it touch! Send us your stories and don’t hesitate to contact us if we can be of assistance.
Martha Calus-McLain ‘03
Director of Alumni Relations
Posted by Martha Calus-Mclain (firstname.lastname@example.org) on Jun 15, 2012 at 4:05 PM