Notes from Under the Oaks
My colleagues and I are often reminded of how blessed we are to work in the beautiful second floor offices at the Abbott Center. Given how much we love this space, it shouldn't be a surprise that we are eager for alumni visitors to share it with.
As we’re approaching the 10-year anniversary of the Abbott Center, I thought I’d share some examples of the services and benefits we can offer alumni who visit the Center.
The Abbott Center hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on week days. Alumni who wish to take advantage of Abbott Center services outside of normal business hours may contact us to request assistance.
- Alumni are welcome to sit in our comfortable living room seating area and pour over yearbooks and copies of the PU Stinker – we’ll even make you a cup of coffee if you’d like.
- Many alumni who come to see us are visiting the Portland-area and hoping to connect with long-lost friends. We love facilitating those reunions.
- Alumni can stay for up to three nights free in one of our two guest rooms. Contact us to make your reservation.
- Couples can even tie the knot here at Abbott Center, provided the wedding is small. The building features a nice backyard patio and interior spaces are cozy, but quite lovely. Contact us to learn more information about availability, capacity and fees.
- If you haven’t been on campus in a few years, some of the buildings might look a little unfamiliar. We’re happy to provide campus tours and help you reorient yourself.
- Visitors interested in experiencing a meal in the University Center dining room can stop in to request a free meal pass.
- Information and maps for exploring wine country and other sites in Washington County are available to visitors.
- Wireless internet access is available throughout the building and we have a computer for guest use. We can even help you print your boarding pass or other materials when traveling.
- Finally Abbott Center is a great place to use as a home base as you’re trying to connect with others on campus. We’re happy to help you make those connections.
If you have not been to the Abbott Center lately, or ever, we hope you’ll join us for our 10-year anniversary open house on Thursday, March 7, 4-6 p.m.
Over the years, Abbott Center has been a popular choice for potluck gatherings. In recent years we’ve hosted a number of food competitions among the staff. In this spirit, we’re sharing the bounty of our latest competition with our guests. Come sample our best cookies and pick your favorite!
We’ll also offer tours of the building and a scavenger hunt – with prizes!
Until then, please keep in touch! Send us your stories and don’t hesitate to contact us if we can be of assistance.
Martha Calus-McLain ‘03
Director of Alumni Relations
Posted by Martha Calus-Mclain (firstname.lastname@example.org) on Feb 14, 2013 at 11:17 AM