Class of 2013 Celebrates
Nearly 300 students participate in commencement ceremony signifying the completion of their undergraduate studies.
More than 290 Pacific University students celebrated the completion of their undergraduate studies by accepting their diplomas at commencement on Saturday, May 18.
The morning ceremony at Lincoln Park Stadium attracted close to 2,500 friends and family members who came to support their beloved graduates.
In congratulating the graduates, President Lesley Hallick said she felt like she was a part of their class. Most of the class of 2013 began their time at Pacific just a few weeks after Hallick came to the university in August 2009.
Valedictorian Chloe Hallyburton, an exercise science major and Spanish minor from Dayton, graduated summa cum laude with a 4.00 grade point average. She thanked her fellow graduates and mentors, including professors and coaches at Pacific, and told classmates to build on their Pacific knowledge set by embracing their future journeys.
"There are still countless things to learn that haven't even entered our minds yet," she said. "Don't lose the sense of wonder and exploration you gained at Pacific. Push ahead out of your comfort zones."
A standout track & field athlete and musician at Pacific, Hallyburton will continue at the university in pursuit of a doctor of physical therapy degree.
Pauline Beard, chair of the English Department who is retiring at the conclusion of the school year, followed Hallyburton's remarks by telling the graduates to pursue what gives their hearts passion and joy and rise to the challenges presented by future employers or graduate studies.
Most, if not all, class of 2013 members appear ready to do just that.
Blaise Holden, a senior psychology major from Steamboat Springs, Colo., has earned a Fulbright Scholarship to study and develop potential therapy for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity (ADHD) in young people. He will travel to Belgium later this year to conduct his work.
Alec Bowcock, a physics major from Warren, presented research to members of the United States Congress that looks at ways to protect highly sensitive optical sensors, critical within the telecommunications industry and military, from high-intensity laser damage.
Following are the award recipients of the College of Arts & Sciences class of 2013:
- Valedictorian - Chloe Hallyburton
- Fulbright award - Blaise Holden
- American Association of University Women - Chloe Hallyburton
- Barbara Story Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Theatre Department - Gavin Knittle, Michael Johnson
- Brad Blair Award for Theatre Performance - Heather Nichelle-Peres
- Berglund Capstone Award - Julia Naumes
- Center for Civic Engagement - Kiersten Iwai
- Center for Gender Equity - Alycia Grassnickle, Katrina Lungren
- Confederation in Oregon for Language Teaching - Rose Thompson
- Confederation in Oregon for Language Teaching German - Jamison Soupir
- Confederation in Oregon for Language Japanese - Rose Thompson
- Confederation in Oregon for Language Spanish - Lauren Seeger
- Dean of Students Award - Brandon Eddy, Carolyn Cartwright
- Dean’s Academic Achievement Award - Cynthia Simmons, Jenna Murphy, Kelcy Gillen, Laura Kelder
- Female Athlete of the Year - Brittany Hartmann
- Male Athletes of the Year - Colin Wester, Matthew Delegato
- Mary Fehrs Award in Gender and Sexuality Studies - Andrea Garvey
- Oregon Health & Science University Murdock Scholar Award - Adrienne Wilburn, Kevin Duffy
- Oregon Society of Certified Public Accountants Outstanding Accounting Student - Emily Thorud
- Outstanding Contribution to Student Life - Elizabeth Quimby, Mark Fukui, Max Seiler, Sarah Tomscha, Tyler Oshiro
- Outstanding Graduate Alumni - Brandon Eddy
- Outstanding Instrumentalist - Chloe Hallyburton, Lars Holte
- Outstanding Senior in Art - Cynthia Simmons
- Outstanding Senior in Biology - John Roque
- Outstanding Senior in Chemistry - Hayley Johanesen
- Outstanding Senior in Creative Writing - Kelly Chastain
- Outstanding Senior in Dance - Kathleen Mahealani, Sonia Brown, Katherine Gillen
- Outstanding Senior in English Literature - Connor Nelson
- Outstanding Senior in Exercise Science - Brandon Eddy, Chloe Hallyburton
- Outstanding Senior in Marketing - Lauren Seeger
- Outstanding Senior in Mathematics - Kaci Linton
- Outstanding Senior in Natural Science - Alec Bowcock, Kelcy Gillen
- Outstanding Senior in Philosophy - Benjamin Brewer
- Outstanding Senior in Physics - Alec Bowcock, Christopher Eddy
- Outstanding Senior in Political Science - Allen Tugaoen
- Outstanding Senior in Social Sciences - Rose Dahl
- Outstanding Senior in the Fine Arts - Alexis Bell, Benjamin Espana
- Outstanding Senior in the Humanities - Benjamin Brewer
- Outstanding Senior in the Media Arts - Jayme Vincent
- Outstanding Student in Business Administration - Chi Le
- Outstanding Student in Economics - Allen Tugaoen
- Outstanding Student in Music Education - Kameron Boro
- Outstanding Vocalist - Benjamin Espana, Tara Velarde
- Peggy Cadd Award for Service in the Arts - Alexandria Nanneman
- Tom Miles Award for Technical Theatre - Coco Kapfer
- William Wright Harts III Memorial Award - Jayme Vincent
Posted by Joe Lang (firstname.lastname@example.org) on May 18, 2013 at 1:13 PM