Job Opportunity for a Grad Student
Part-time position with Language in Motion program!
Pacific Language in Motion Coordinator
The Center for Civic Engagement (CCE) and Center for Languages and International Collaboration (CLIC) seek a mature, responsible graduate student to conduct outreach to local schools, coordinate scheduling of program activities, develop programming, and manage student volunteer participants for the Pacific Language in Motion program.
The CCE and CLIC received a grant to start a new program as a member of the Language in Motion Northwest
Consortium. Language in Motion is a program for study abroad returnees, international students and advanced language students to create language and culture activities for public school classrooms in western Washington County. It is a fantastic way for students with significant international experience to interact with the local schools and share knowledge of different languages or cultures with school-aged children.
The LiM Coordinator will work with CCE and CLIC directors and school partners to develop programming to support language and culture education. Once the program is underway, the LiM Coordinator will schedule outreach activities and manage student volunteer participants, including coaching student volunteers in preparation for their volunteer activities.
This position is an excellent opportunity for someone interested in education in foreign languages or social studie to network and learn about how local schools are providing enrichment activities for their students in the face of funding cuts to arts, culture, and extracurricular instruction.
- Research local after-school and language programs in local schools
- Develop outreach programming to promote language and cultures
- Guide college students in developing LiM activities and presentations
- Manage college student volunteers
- Maintain database of contacts and program activities
- Schedule student presentations and other LiM programming
- Meet with CCE and CLIC directors regarding program needs and opportunities
- Other duties as assigned
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- Experience in education, foreign languages, and/or social studies
- Lesson planning and curriculum development skills
- Second language proficiency
- Bachelors Degree (required)
- Ability to represent the university well at meetings with school personnel
- Ability to work well with both school personnel and college student participants
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
Compensation: $12.00 - $15.00 per hour, depending on experience
The LiM Coordinator will work up to 15 hours per week. The schedule is negotiable, but must be during hours that meet scheduling needs of both college students and local schools (between 7am and 4pm). Two year commitment strongly preferred.
Please contact Stephanie Stokamer at firstname.lastname@example.org or Erica Andree at email@example.com if you are interested in applying.
Posted by Stephanie Stokamer (firstname.lastname@example.org) on Jun 5, 2013 at 3:07 PM