Job Opportunity - The Altair School
Job Opportunity - Lead Elementary Teacher (1st - 5th grade) Part-time to Full-tim Flexibility. Family-friendly work environment.
Lead Elementary Teacher (1st – 5th grade)
Part-time to Full-Time Flexibility. Family-friendly work environment!
SALARY: $40,000-60,000 based on experience, degree, and certification. (Pro-rated for part-time hours if applicable).
START DATE: Immediate.
HOURS: 3-5 days per week. 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM.
Our school is currently operating three days a week with the plan to increase to five days per week in the near future. We’re seeking qualified candidates who are interested in working either full-time or part-time.
The Altair School seeks a Lead Teacher for a class of 7-9 year old students whose instructional needs span second through sixth grades. The student base includes children who will begin the 2013-2014 school year at grade level, as well as exceptionally and profoundly gifted students who will require above-grade level instruction throughout the year.
The 2013-14 school year will be Altair’s first year of operation. Because of the nature of a start-up school, successful candidates must feel comfortable with innovative and collaborative processes involving advisory board members and parents concerning classroom design, curriculum and pedagogy. An ideal candidate will be able to differentiate curriculum for young students, have experience in classroom community building, and be skilled at inquiry and project-based instruction.
The Altair School, located in west Portland, Oregon, is an independent, inquiry-based school designed to meet the diverse needs of capable learners. Altair strives to create a cooperative, caring environment where children can take intellectual risks and experience the satisfaction of learning in a safe, joyful community. Toward this end, Altair will maintain small classes of not more than sixteen students.
Requirements and Responsibilities
The Lead Teacher at Altair will teach a multi-age class, Monday through Friday, and will collaborate with Altair affiliates throughout the school year to promote an active, positive school environment.
- Successfully maintain an inquiry-based learning environment for a class of multi-age students.
- Incorporate strategies and best practices in teaching highly gifted students into daily instruction.
- Build and maintain a strong community among students.
- Create and maintain a safe, kind and cooperative classroom.
- Engage the involvement and cooperation of parents as partners.
- Be familiar with the learning characteristics of gifted students and best practices in gifted education.
- Select, modify and supplement curriculum as needed for capable and exceptionally gifted students.
- Exemplify and foster a love of learning among students.
- Establish, communicate and record clear objectives for all learning activities.
- Instruct and monitor students in the proper use of educational tools and equipment.
- Use technology to support instruction.
- Encourage, evaluate and document students’ academic performance and development.
- Provide helpful and timely feedback to students and parents regarding academic achievement.
- Update all necessary records accurately and completely as required by law, district policies and school regulations.
- Plan, prepare and deliver instructional activities that facilitate active learning experiences, with an emphasis on project-based and problem-based learning when appropriate.
Education and Experience
- Classroom experience teaching highly gifted students.
- Deep understanding of the learning characteristics of gifted students and best practices in gifted education.
- Bachelors degree or higher from an accredited institution; masters degree preferred.
- Oregon State certification preferred; out-of state certification considered.
$40,000-60,000 based on experience, degree, and certification. (Pro-rated for part-time hours as applicable). Classes are currently held Tues-Thurs, with plans for expanding to a 5-day/week schedule in January. We offer flexible hours and a family-friendly environment. Calendar compatible with the Beaverton Public Schools 2013-2014 calendar.
Please send your resume with a minimum of three references to email@example.com
Posted by Jennifer Bridgewater (firstname.lastname@example.org) on Oct 22, 2013 at 9:27 AM