This worksheet is to help you determine which prerequisites you have fulfilled and those which you have remaining to meet the prerequisite coursework for the College of Optometry. After printing out and completing this planning guide, you may mail or fax it to the admissions office for an unofficial evaluation of your coursework. We will review your worksheet and send it back to you with feedback. Our address is:
190 SE 8th Ave Suite 181
Hillsboro, OR 97123
Fax (503) 352-7290
Please note that, due to the volume of pre-requisite worksheets received, it will take approximately two weeks for you to receive the worksheet back with our comments. We will mail a copy back to you; we will not email it. It is up to you to plan accordingly, as we do not rush the process due to individual registration needs.
*Please note that two pre-requisite requirements have recently changed*
Beginning with applicants for Fall 2011 entry to the College of Optometry, note:
- One semester of biochemistry, with lab, will be accepted as a substitute for the second semester of organic chemistry with lab. Thus, applicants can complete the Chemistry requirement with either:
a full year of General Chem with lab plus a full year of Organic Chemistry with lab
a full year of General Chem with lab plus one semester or Organic Chemistry with lab and one semester of Biochemistry with lab
- The English requirement has been reduced from 9 semester hours to 6 semester hours (two classes).
The following are instructions for completing this guide. Please read them carefully.
- If a course does not exactly meet the criteria listed, be sure to enclose a photocopy of the catalog course description with this planning guide.
- The following pre-requisite courses must have been completed within the last 7 years: Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry (if applicable) and General Physics. In-depth experience in the sciences within the last 7 years may be able to be substituted for expired coursework on a case-by-case basis. Examples include applicants pursuing a doctorate degree in the sciences whose general science pre-requisites were completed more than 7 years ago. Optometric or ophthalmic experience may not be substituted for expired courses.
- If your credits are on the quarter system, convert them to semester credits. The formula is: quarter credits divided by 1.5 equals semester credits.
- If you have not yet completed one or more of the prerequisites, list the course(s) you intend to take and the term the course(s) will be completed in the "To Be Completed" column.
- If accepted, you must complete both the required courses and the required number of semester hours before beginning the program.
- All courses listed on the worksheet must be completed with a grade of "C" or higher. Courses are to be taken on a graded basis; pass/fail courses are not acceptable for prerequisite courses.
- If you have repeated a course, list both grades and place a check mark in the "R" Column.
- Courses taken to fulfill the science prerequisites must be those designed for science majors or pre-professional students (Pre-Optometry, Pre-Med, Pre-Pharmacy, Pre-Dentistry) and must each include a laboratory.
- A single course may not be used to satisfy more than one prerequisite area.
- The courses listed on this guide are the minimum pre-optometry requirements. Students who enter in the fall without a bachelor's degree must complete the Bachelor's Degree option prerequisites for the Visual Science major.