Black Box Warnings Pertinent to Optometrists
Len Hua, PhD, OD, FAAO
Expires August 15, 2015
1 credit, $39
Event #: 104276
The scope of practice in optometry continues to expand over the years. Most optometrists can prescribe topical and non-topical medications. This course presents drugs pertinent to optometrists with box warnings of potentially serious adverse effects.
Briefly state the course objectives. These must be different than the course description and note the learning outcomes of the course.
At the end of the course, participant will be able to:
* define the meaning of a black box warning for a medication
* list ways to look for black box warning on a prescribing drug
* use alternative and safer drug for patients who have high risk of adverse reaction to a particular drug
* check manufacturer’s drug insert before prescribing an unfamiliar drug
* educate patients about signs and symptoms of drugs with black box warning, if there is no alternative
Disclosure of Financial or Proprietary Interests: