M.S. Degree Requirements
In general, the MS in VS program is designed so that a typical student would require 2 years, or 6 semesters, of study to complete the degree requirements. To receive the MS in VS degree, you need to complete the following requirements:
In order to meet the requirements for the awarding of the M. S. degree, students must complete coursework that closely mirrors the MSVS program curriculum. In all, students must complete at least 42 semester hours of graduate credits, with 38 required course credits and at least 4 elective credits.
Based on the student's academic background, programs o training, individual areas of interest, and any memorandum of understanding between an academic institute and Pacific University, the MSVS Program may allow exemption or substitution of some required vision science courses, based on previous coursework or professional experiences. However, course exemption or substitution is limited to the required courses and does not apply to elective courses.
Grades and Terms
- No course in which the grade is below “B” may be counted toward the graduate degree. Any grade of B- or lower is considered substandard.
- The degree is conferred with distinction upon graduates who have maintained a grade point average of 3.5 or higher in the MS curriculum.
- All Master of Vision Science candidates must submit a proposal for a significant research project. Students may alternatively submit a proposal for a comprehensive and in-depth thesis.
- All Master of Vision Science candidates must pass an oral defense in front of their thesis committee.
- A completed written thesis must be approved by your faculty advisor and thesis advisory committee, and submitted to the department.
- If you do not show satisfactory progress toward meeting academic, research, or thesis requirements, your performance will be reviewed in a meeting with the Vision Science Program Committee. The committee may recommend a change in the student's program or recommend that the student be dismissed from the degree program.
Full-time and part-time status
- Five and three credits per semester are considered full- and part-time course loads respectively.
Length of study
- All work required for graduation must be completed within a period of seven years from the date of matriculation.
- All regulations and policies related to professional and academic standards described elsewhere in the College of Optometry section of this catalog also pertain to students in the MSVS Program; however, specific grading criteria expressed in this MSVS catalog will apply when in conflict with College of Optometry grading policies.
- These standards relate to academic performance, course attendance, professional behavior, grades and other matters. Violations of these standards can result in the student being placed on warning or probation, or dismissal from the program.
- All work submitted for the MSVS degree (including transferred credits, dissertation, examination, etc.) must be completed within a period of 7 calendar years from date of matriculation.
(Last update: Nov/26/2013)