School of Professional Psychology Faculty
Katherine Elder , Ph.D.
Psy.D. Clinical Program
School of Professional Psychology
- Ph.D., University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, 2003
- M.A., Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT, 1997
- B.A., University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, 1993
- Predoctoral Internship, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine, Madison, WI, 2003
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, 2005
Previous Relevant Work Experience
- Assistant Professor and Director of the Psychological and Behavioral Health Service for the Surgical Weight Reduction Program, Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU), 2006-2010
Roles and Interests
- Clinical Supervisor for practicum students at the Pacific Psychology Clinic conducting psychotherapy from an integrative CBT perspective
- Supervise thesis and dissertation research
- Core Faculty, Health Psychology Track; Affiliated Faculty, Latino Bilingual Track
- Clinical and research interests: Eating disorders and obesity with emphasis on adults; binge eating; bariatric surgery; prevention/early intervention of eating disorders and obesity; obesity stigma; health promotion; Cognitive Behavioral Therapy; Latino psychology.
- Academy of Eating Disorders (AED)
- Society of Behavioral Medicine (SBM)
Mitchell, J.E., Selzer, F., Kalarchian, M. A., Devlin, M. J., Strain, G., Elder, K. A., Marcus, M. D., Wonderlich, S., Christian, N. J., Yanovski, S. Z. (In Press). Psychopathology Prior to Surgery in the Longitudinal Assessment of Bariatric Surgery-3 (LABS-3) Psychosocial Study. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases.
- King, W.C., Engel, S.G., Elder, K.A., Chapman, W.H., Eid, G.M., Wolfe, B.M., Belle, S.H. (In Press). Walking capacity of bariatric surgery candidates. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases.
- Elder, K. A., Paris, M., Añez, L. M. Grilo, C. M. (2008). Loss of control over eating is associated with eating disorder psychopathology in a community sample of Latinas. Eating Behaviors, 9, 501-503.
- Elder, K.A. & Wolfe, B.M. (2007). Bariatric Surgery: A review of procedures and outcomes. Gastroenterology, 132, 2253-2271.
Elder, K. A. & Grilo, C. M. (2007). The Spanish Language Version of the Eating Disorder Questionnaire: Comparison with the Spanish Language Version of the Eating Disorder Examination and Test-Retest Reliability. Behaviour Research & Therapy, 45, 1369-1377.
Elder, K. A., Grilo, C. M., Masheb, R. M., Rothschild, B. S., Burke-Martindale, C. H., & Brody M. (2006). Comparison of two self-report instruments for assessing binge eating in bariatric surgery candidates. Behaviour Research & Therapy, 44, 545-560.
Grilo, C. M., Lozano, C., & Elder, K. A. (2005). Inter-Rater and Test-Retest Reliability of the Spanish Language Version of the Eating Disorder Examination Interview: Clinical and Research Implications. Journal of Psychiatric Practice, 11, 231-240.
Striegel-Moore, R. H., Wilson, G. T., Wilfley, D. E., Elder, K. A., & Brownell, K. D. (1998). Binge eating in an obese community sample. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 23, 27-37.
- Elder, K. A. (February, 2010). Psychological Considerations in the Assessment and Care of Patients Seeking Bariatric Surgery. Workshop presented at the Association for Women in Psychology Annual Conference, Portland, Oregon.
- King, W. C., Belle, S. H., Elder, K. A., Engel, S. G., Eid, G. M., Chapman, W., Wolfe, B. (October 2009). Does the relationship between physical activity level and physical function differ by body mass index (BMI) in bariatric surgery candidates? Poster presented at The Obesity Society's Annual Scientific Meeting, Washington D.C.
- Mitchell, J. E., Marcus, M., Hsu, J., Belle, S., Elder, K., Selzer, F., Kalarchian, M., Devlin, M., Strain, G., Yanovski, S. (June 2009). Psychopathology and eating pathology in the longitudinal assessment of bariatric surgery-3 (LABS-3) psychosocial study. Paper presented at American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Annual Meeting.
- Elder, K. A. (October 2009). Eating Disorders: Diagnosis, Clinical Considerations, and Treatment. Invited lecture at the Oregon Society of Physician Assistants Annual Conference, Newport, OR.
- Elder, K. A. & Grilo, C. M. (October 2005). A comparison of Eating Patterns and Eating Disorder Features in Obese and Nonobese Monolingual Latina Women. Poster presented at North American Association for the Study of Obesity Annual Scientific Meeting, Vancouver, BC.
- Elder, K. A., Lozano, C., & Grilo, C. M. (April, 2005). The Spanish language version eating disorder examination: A comparison of the interview and self-report questionnaire. Paper presented at the Academy for Eating Disorders, Montréal, Québec.
- Elder, K. A., Lozano, C., & Grilo, C. M. (April, 2005). Inter-rater and test-retest reliability of the Spanish language version of the Eating Disorder Examination interview: Clinical and research implications. Paper presented at the Academy for Eating Disorders, Montréal, Québec.
- Elder, K. A., Grilo, C. M., Masheb, R. M., Rothschild, B. S., Burke-Martindale, C. H., Brody, M. (April, 2005). A comparison of two self-report instruments for assessing binge eating in bariatric surgery candidates. Paper presented at the Society of Behavioral Medicine Annual Conference, Boston, MA.
- Grilo, C. M., Lozano, C., & Elder, K. A. (October, 2004). The Spanish language version of the Eating Disorder Examination Interview: Development and initial psychometric evaluation. Paper presented at the Critical Research Issues in Latino Mental Health conference, San Antonio, TX.
- Elder, K. A., Craighead, L. W., Pung, M. A., Niemeier, H. M., & Buckner, A. L. (May 2004). Maintenance of treatment effects following group CBT for early intervention of binge eating disorder: A comparison of standard CBT and appetite-focused CBT. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Academy for Eating Disorders, Orlando, FL.
- Craighead, L. W., Elder, K. A., & Niemeier, H. M. (November, 2003). Appetite-focused CBT for problems with binge eating and purging. Workshop presented at the annual convention of the Association for Advancement of Behavior Therapy, Boston, MA.
- Elder, K. A., Buckner, A., Craighead, L. W., Niemeier, H. M., & Pung, M. A. (May, 2003). Appetite-focused CBT for early intervention of binge eating disorder. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Academy for Eating Disorders, Denver, CO.
Katherine A. Elder , Ph.D.
School of Professional Psychology
Pacific University HPC 2
190 SE 8th Ave, Suite 260
Hillsboro, OR 97123