If you are changing rooms, leaving mid-semester, or moving out at the end of the term, you must first be approved by the Department of Housing. Once approved, select one of the following:
- Check out with a staff member
- Check out independently with an Express Check-Out Envelope
For both methods, you must report your check-out time to your RA within 24 hours of your departure. Regardless of the option you select, you must check out of your room by the date established by the Housing Office. Additionally, staff will not check you out of your space if you have not been approved by the Housing Office to vacate.
Checking out with a staff member:
- Sign up for a check-out appointment with your RA at least 24 hours in advance of your departure (note: your RA may not be available to check you out at your desired time; you may work with your RA to find another staff member to check you out, or you may need to use the Express Check-Out Envelope method)
- Pack up and clean your unit before your check-out meeting
- Attend your check-out appointment to turn in your keys and complete check-out paperwork; your unit will be locked at the end of this meeting.
- Check your email for any notifications regarding possible charges related to damages, cleaning or improper-check-out.
Checking out independently with an Express Check-Out Envelope:
Note: If you choose the Express check-out method, you waive your right to appeal any fines, fees, or damages resulting from the staff assessment of the room
- Pick up an Express Envelope from your RA at least 24 hours in advance of your departure
- Pack up and clean your unit before turning in your Express Envelope
- When you are ready to leave, fill out the form on the envelope, place your room key(s) inside (mail keys must not be placed in this envelope; they should go directly to Mail Services), and turn the envelope in to your front desk's drop box
- Check your email for any notifications regarding possible charges related to damages, cleaning or improper-check-out
If you fail to properly turn in your Express Envelope by the time you indicated to your RA or SRA, or do not meet with a staff member to check-out of your space, you will be charged a $50 improper check-out fee.
Check-Out Tips: Avoid Fines
- Avoid cleaning charges to your room by vacuuming, wiping down all surfaces, and checking to make sure your belongings are out of every drawer by check-out appointment time. The room should be clean enough for another student to move in after you.
- Do not try to repair any damages to your room. This could result in further repair costs.
- Make an appointment to check out with your RA, or report when you will be completing your Express Check-Out at least 24 hours in advance.
- Meet your check-out deadline and attend your check-out appointment.
- Follow directions from your RA, AC, and the Residence Hall Handbook. Any of the following actions shall constitute an Improper Check-Out (subject to a $50 fine):
- The resident vacates their space and does not complete the check-out process with a Residence Life staff member or Express Check-Out Envelope. By not properly checking out, the student waives his or her right to appeal any fines, fees, or damages resulting from the Facilities and Residence Life assessment of the room upon check-out.
- The resident fails to make advanced check-out arrangements with the designated Residence Life staff member at least 24 hours in advance or by the advertised deadline, whichever occurs first.
- The resident fails to check-out of the space by the date and time arranged with the staff member prescribed in their housing contract.
- The resident fails to follow other check-out instructions, including but not limited to leaving trash or more than a drawer full of personal property in the space after vacating.