Working with Students with DisabilitiesPlease follow the procedure below when working with a student with a disability:
- If a student approaches you and states that she/he has a disability, please refer them to Learning Support Services (LSS), asking that they call or email us as soon as possible. Please contact LSS notifying us that you have referred a student.
- Once the student contacts us we will meet with him/her and review their eligibility for services. Documentation of their disability must be provided for our files.
- LSS will provide the student with information and resources to help develop coping skills and strategies. Each student is unique and his or her individual needs will be outlined.
- At the student's request a notice of the student's disability will be sent to all faculty in which classes the student is enrolled. All services will be specialized to fit the specific course, teaching style, and learning style. Faculty members are asked to assist in this process to ensure a situation that is positive for all parties involved.
- Any services and accommodations that will be provided in a particular course will be outlined and agreed upon by the student, LSS, and the faculty member. If a student requests services that have not been outlined please contact our office to clarify.
- Services can be improved and adapted at any time to best fit the classroom environment.
- When writing a recommendation letter for a student, please refer to the set of instructions.
Note: If you suspect a student has a disability or requires more assistance than you can provide, please refer the student to our office and/or contact us so that we can meet with the student and provide the information, resources, and services that will promote their success at Pacific. You can not ask a student if they have a disability.
Please help support us by including this statement in your syllabi:
Learning Support Services for Students with Disabilities:Services and accommodations are available to students covered under the American with Disabilities Act. If you require accommodations in this course, You must immediately contact Learning Support Services for Students with Disabilities at x2194 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Director or her Assistant will meet with you, review the documentation of your disability and discuss the services Pacific offers and any accommodations you require for specific courses. It is extremely important that you begin this process at the beginning of the semester. Please do not wait until the first test or paper.