Tom McCall Events
- New Urbanism. Presentation and community forum on planning, the future of cities and suburbs, and how this can influence our lives in Forest Grove. Date: TBD, September 2013.
- Albie Sachs, South African jurist and peace advocate. Time TBD, Tuesday 5 November 2013. Co-sponsored with the Pacific Center for Peace and Spirituality.
Past Events, 2012–13 academic year.
- Washington County Citizen Action Network Summit, 6 April 2013. Bringing together grassroots organizations and the Pacific community to learn about efforts all across the county. 8:30–17:00, Taylor Auditorium, Marsh Hall, Pacific Forest Grove campus.
- Immigration and Sustainability: A Bi-National Perspective Embracing Diversity-Resolving Disparities, 5 April 2013. Sponsored by Pacific's College of Health Professions, Office of Diversity, and McCall Center, and Tuality Health Care. At Tuality Health Care, Hillsboro..
- How do Oregon’s social institutions’ responses to immigration affect equity and democracy, and environmental and economic sustainability?
- What is and will be the impact of immigration on Oregon’s labor market and economy? What is fair and just for immigrant workers, for the businesses that employ them and for the Oregon economy?
- How and which state and local policies must change to advance sustainability and equity affected by immigration?
- Forest Grove Conversations, 2 April 2013. “The Future is Now: Citizens and Community in the Digital Age.” Panel with Kate Brown, Oregon’s Secretary of State, Nigel Jaquiss of Willamette Week, and Prof. Mark Bailey of Pacific’s School of Education. Focus on Civic institution (libraries, schools, etc.), Social Interaction (e-mail, Facebook, etc.), and Citizenship (the digital divide). 7:00pm, Forest Grove Community Center, Forest Grove city council chambers, 1924 Council Street.
- The Contra War Legacy: Post-War Survivors and Their Struggle for Health and Well-Being, 13 February 2013. A talk by Pam Fitzpatrick and photographer Paul Dix, based on their bilingual photo-testimony book. Event held on the Health Professions campus in Hillsboro. Noon, Creighton Hall, room 411.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Monday 21 January 2013. 9:00am, view Inauguration of President Barack Obama, University Center. 11:00am, community march leaving from Marsh Hall. 12:00 noon, program with emcee Pete Truax, Forest Grove mayor, and keynote by former Oregon Senator Margaret Carter. Co-sponsored by Office of Diversity, Center for Peace and Spirituality, Center for Civic Engagement, Center for Gender Equity.
- Oregon Secretary of State forum. Taylor Auditorium, Marsh Hall. Knute Buehler (Republican), Robert Wolfe (Progressive Party), Seth Woolley (Pacific Green Party). Incumbent Kate Brown (D) declined to participate. October 2012.
- Oregon’s Candidates for State Labor Commissioner, election season 2012. A community forum featuring incumbent Brad Avakian and his challenger Bruce Starr. Senator Starr declined to take part.
- Candidate Forum for Oregon House district 29. Challenger Ben Unger (D) accepted. Incumbent Katie Eyre did not respond.
- Forest Grove community school. The electoral college for middle school students. October 2012.
- The Long Memory: The Indigenous Peoples of America After Columbus. Affirming Native American Heritage. A presentation by Elizabeth Woody. The Pulse, University Center. October 2012.
- Panel on student aid and the elections. Talk about how the elections have an impact on student debt and financial aid, Pacific's University Center. Co-sponsored with the Center for Gender Equity. September 2012.
- CLIC to Vote. Voter registration event on the Pacific campus. Register to vote on the computers in Scott Hall's CLIC. Co-sponsored with the Center for Civic Engagement and the Center for Languages and International Collaboration. September–October 2012.
See “Projects” tab for prior events.