Office of Development
|MAKE YOUR GIFT BEFORE DEC. 31|
Pacific University will be closed from Tuesday, Dec. 24 – Wednesday, Jan. 1, 2014. If you leave a message, University Advancement will return your call during this closure. Call 503-352-2211 or toll free 1-877-722-8648, ext 2211.
Pacific University offers several methods to make your gift. Through an outright gift of cash, securities or real estate, or through a planned gift, you can participate in supporting Pacific University's mission and our students.
- Make a gift online now
- Provide your gift information by mail or phone
- Consider long-term planned giving options, including through your estate plans
- Make a gift of securities or other appreciated assets, which may have tax advantages
- Establish an endowment that will keep on giving
- Use monthly payroll deduction if you are faculty or staff of Pacific University
Year-end Giving Information
Below are some tips to ensure your gift is made prior to Dec. 31.
- Cash & Checks sent by U.S. mail must be postmarked by Dec. 31. Donors making gifts near year-end should have the envelope postmarked before December 31. Gifts by any other delivery service (Federal Express, UPS, etc.) are complete on the day they arrive at Pacific.
Make your check payable to Pacific University send to:
- Credit card gifts are complete the day your card is charged. Use secure online giving.
- Stock/Securities. Some donors prefer the added tax benefits of giving long-term appreciated securities. Stock gifts can be made through Dec. 31 but must be initiated by your broker in sufficient time to clear before the close of business on Dec. 30. In order that we may be certain to credit you for your stock gifts, please email Jan Stricklin with the name, number of shares and your contact information.
UC Box A-162
2043 College Way
Forest Grove, OR 97116
Your broker will need the following information to affect your gift:
Broker: Dave Recek
Edward D. Jones & Co.
1925 Pacific Avenue
Forest Grove, OR 97116
Pacific’s Account Number: 857-00-611-1-2
Deposit Transfer Corporation Number: 0057
Pacific University is a qualified charitable organization and a 501(c)(3) non-profit public benefit organization (federal tax ID: 93-0386892).
- IRA Charitable Rollover. Retirement plan assets can be a practical source from which to make gifts. Many tax and financial advisors suggest using these funds to make charitable gifts because amounts withdrawn from retirement accounts can be taxable to you and eventually to your heirs if left to them. Giving in this way may result in little or no tax impact when you report the amount withdrawn along with an offsetting charitable deduction.
The charitable IRA rollover, or qualified charitable distribution (QCD), is a special provision allowing certain donors to exclude from taxable income -- and count toward their required minimum distribution -- certain transfers of Individual Retirement Account (IRA) assets that are made directly to public charities, including Pacific University.
The provision was first enacted for tax years 2006 and 2007, and has been extended periodically, most recently in January 2013, when it was made available for 2012 (retroactively) and for 2013.
A gift that qualifies, technically termed a “qualified charitable distribution,” must be:
- Made by a donor age 70 1/2 or older
- Transferred from a traditional or Roth IRA directly to a permissible public charity, such as Pacific University.
- Completed in calendar year 2013 for the 2013 tax year
As of this writing, this special tax advantage has not been extended beyond its current Dec. 31, 2013, expiration date.
Checks from your plan administrator must be dated and the envelope postmarked no later than Dec. 31, 2013.
Contact Jan Stricklin at 503-352-2890 or toll free at 1-877-722-8648, ext. 2211.