Growing Social Justice: Food and Hunger in the Forest Grove Area
On this trip you will experience different aspects of the food system through rural adventures and nearby service projects. Explore the farm country around Pacific—an agricultural region that supplies a city known for food. Voyage around the Forest Grove area, camp at Pacific’s B Street Living Museum, harvest local food, and examine what causes social injustice and disconnection in the world. Serve in organizations that grow food and combat hunger. Eat together and with others. The Forest Grove Voyage will focus on the challenges and opportunities of food and hunger in suburban and Beautiful countryside surrounding Forest Grove
rural areas, including the
experiences of migrant workers. This adventure will challenge your thinking about what you eat and why, but at the same time build community through food. Be whisked away on this unique exploration while you generate new friendships, learn, and reflect with your classmates...Roughin’ it in the Grove!
This voyage requires the ability to ride a bicycle and handle some physical activity (such as gardening).
Cost of Attending: $300 (charged directly to student account)
- Move-in to dorm August 16 @ 4:00-6:00 PM
- Students cannot move-in earlier unless approved by Coordinators. For students with late night flights, they may fly in August 15th and have a midnight check-in. Please let us know ASAP if you are doing this.
- Welcome BBQ for students and parents August 16 @ 6:00-7:00 PM
- Parent orientation (parents only) @ 7:00-9:00 PM
- Pre-Trip meeting (students only) @ 7:00-9:00 PM
- Trip departure August 17 @ 8:00 AM
- Trip return August 21
- Eight class sessions build on the adventure experience during Fall Semester 2012
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org by August 5th if you need pickup from airport or train station.