The teachers at the Early Learning Community share an understanding of how best to support a natural love of learning in each young child.
Teachers Who Love Learning
- Appreciate childhood as a unique and valuable stage of the human lifecycle (valuing the quality of children’s lives in the present, not just as preparation for the future
- Base their work with children on knowledge of child development and learning theory
- Recognize that children are best understood in the context of family, culture and society
- Appreciate and support the close ties between the child and family
- Help children and adults achieve their full potential in the context of relationships that are based on trust, respect and positive regard
- Respect the dignity, worth and uniqueness of each child, family member and colleague
Each class of 20 children is guided by team of teachers:
- A lead teacher who holds a current Oregon Teaching License and a master of arts in teaching (MAT). Graduate-level studies in child development, pedagogical models, educational psychology and the field of education prepare our lead teachers to design curriculum, assess learning needs and create classroom culture that nurtures the cognitive, social and emotional growth of each child.
- Assistant teachers who have experience working with young children and who meet state certification standards for teaching preschool
- Student volunteers and teacher candidates from the College of Education