Job #: 1526
Assistant/Associate Professor – Athletic Training Faculty
Institution: Pacific University, School of Physical Therapy
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Application Due: Open until filled
Type: Full time – 9 month appointment
Rank: Tenure track Assistant/Associate Professor
Effective Date of appointment: 2017-2018 Academic Year
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications
Pacific University is seeking a faculty member for an Entry Level Masters’ of Science Degree program in Athletic Training. The position is 9-month Tenure-Track contract.
Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to (% are approximate):
Teaching & Curriculum
· Deliver courses within the athletic training core with an expertise in broad spectrum of areas including but not limited to general medical conditions, sports nutrition, therapeutic modalities and rehabilitation
· Participate in curriculum development and assessment
· Mentor students in academic and professional capacities
· Assist the Program Director in program operations as assigned and the Clinical Education Coordinator (CEC) in the management of athletic training student clinical education including: student clinical progression, clinical site evaluation, student evaluation, preceptor training and evaluation.
Research & Scholarship
· Active engagement in scholarship/research that contributes to athletic training education and/or clinical practice and is consistent with the Boyer model of scholarship.
Campus and Professional Service
· Active engagement on program, department, college, and campus committees
· Demonstrate initiative and good university citizenship in carrying out all responsibilities as member of the University
· Engage in athletic training professional service and scholarship to provide local, regional, and national visibility for the program
· Actively pursue a professional development plan including continuing education, credentials, and/or qualifications that supports personal well-being and career advancement
Minimum Requirements: The candidate must be a member of the National Athletic Trainers’ Association (NATA), a Board of Certification (BOC) Certified Athletic Trainer (in good standing) and have a minimum of 3 years of clinical experience. The candidate must be registered / eligible for registration as an athletic trainer in the state of Oregon. Academically the candidate must have an earned post-professional master’s degree in Athletic Training / Sports Medicine or related discipline. The candidate must have a global understanding of the profession with a specific expertise in the areas of general medical conditions, sports nutrition, therapeutic modalities and rehabilitation.
Special Position Characteristics: Preference will be given to candidates with an earned doctoral (PhD, or EdD,) degree in Athletic Training / Sports Medicine or related discipline (ABD considered). Also preferred is evidence of prior college level instruction and supervision of athletic training students within a CAATE accredited athletic training program and a sustained record of leadership, professional service and/or scholarship (please include a sample of your course/teaching evaluations). Any advanced clinical/specialty certifications are encouraged (i.e. National Academy of Sports Medicine, National Strength and Conditioning Association, American Heart Association, American Red Cross Instructor Certification).
· Letter of interest including a description of your philosophy on the future of athletic training education and your personal teaching philosophy
· Sample of your course/teaching evaluations (if available)
· Current CV
· 3 letters of recommendation
Founded in 1849, Pacific University is one of the oldest chartered institutions of higher education in the West. With the historical campus located in Forest Grove, Oregon (about 25 miles west of Portland), the University also has campuses in Hillsboro, Eugene, and Woodburn. Currently the University enrolls more than 3,000 undergraduate and graduate students. Pacific University strives to provide an education of exceptional quality in liberal arts and sciences and in selected professional programs to prepare students for service to a changing community, nation and world. Pacific University has been recognized by both the U.S. News and World Report and Barron’s as a “Best Buy” based on quality, price, and financial aid.
NOTICE OF NONDISCRIMINATION POLICY
It is the policy of Pacific University not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion or religious creed, disability or handicap, sex or gender, gender identity and/or expression (including a transgender identity), sexual orientation, military, veteran or Vietnam Era status in admission and access to, or treatment in employment, educational programs or activities as required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, or any other classification protected under state or federal law, or city ordinance. Questions or complaints may be directed to the Vice President for Academic Affairs, 2043 College Way, Forest Grove, OR 97116, email@example.com.
Application Procedure: To apply for this position, submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae, and (3) letters of recommendation to:
Jeffrey Kawaguchi, PT, Ph.D. ATC
Associate Professor and Program Director (Athletic Training)
School of Physical Therapy
222 SE 8th Ave.
Hillsboro, OR 97123
Applications review and screening will commence immediately and will continue until the position is filled.