Job #: 1559
Responsible for supporting the technology needs of students, faculty and staff throughout the University, with special emphasis on support for the students, faculty and staff of the College of Optometry and College of Health Professions. Investigates and resolves problems with online accounts, software, hardware, printers and mobile computing devices. Will work some days on the Forest Grove campus and some days on the Hillsboro campus.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Provides support services to internal and external users of the university’s IT systems and university and personally owned computers.
· Acts as both first-level and second-level problem identifier and resolver.
· Provides support via e-mail, telephone and in person.
· Provides assistance and training to student workers, so that they can solve common problems.
· Provides assistance and training for faculty members using classroom audiovisual systems.
· Migrates data and upgrades faculty and staff users to new computer hardware and software.
· Does repair/maintenance of software and operating systems, completely wiping and reloading machines when necessary.
· Does basic hardware repairs to equipment and works with third parties to accomplish difficult hardware repairs.
· Oversees routine maintenance on Pacific University owned computers and printers.
· Is familiar with and aids with compliance with the university’s HIPAA Information Technology Standards, (Workstation Configuration, Encryption and BOX).
· Meets regularly with groups of students and groups of faculty and staff in the Colleges of Optometry and Health Professions to advise them and gain feedback about their use of technology.
· Leads the technology orientation of new student cohorts.
· Alerts UIS management to potential safety or security risks created by customer’s use of technology.
· Coordinates user problems with staff in Technology Operations, Enterprise Data Systems, Health Professions Information Services, Technology Helpdesk, and with UIS liaisons if necessary to make sure customer problems are resolved completely.
· Maintains and updates a database of university owned technology.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: Perform other related duties as assigned.
JOB SCOPE: Performs duties independently with minimal supervision, dealing with multiple priorities. Decisions are made within general policy guidelines, but must require unique decision-making for each situation. Mistakes/errors may result in unhappy customers, damage to the academic careers of students and work stoppages in vital University departments due to impromptly resolved technology problems.
SUPERVISOR RESPONSIBILITY: This position intermittently supervises several student workers.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
· 2+ years experience in providing technology support, preferably in an educational setting, is required.
· Windows and Apple service certifications or coursework is strongly desired.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES & BEHAVIORS:
· Competent in identifying and resolving a full range of the kinds of problems typically solved by first level support (student workers and Helpdesk Specialist).
· Communicates with students, faculty, staff and the public appropriate to the age of the individual served.
· Builds on basic learning and carries it from one situation to another.
· Demonstrates critical thinking skills in problem solving and decision-making.
· Asks questions and seeks assistance.
· Takes responsibility to eliminate the source of problems.
· Demonstrates confidentiality regarding information pertaining to all students, faculty and staff.
· Maintains proper appearance and personal conduct for the employee’s particular job.
· Uses effective communication skills taking into consideration body language, filters, listening, paraphrasing, and questions with customers of diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
· Demonstrates ability to work in a team environment.
· Familiarity with use of the Office suite of applications, including Word and Excel.
· Demonstrates ability to prioritize between multiple duties and stay organized in a challenging, often fast-paced environment.
· Demonstrates ability to communicate technological information to people of a broad range of backgrounds and technical knowledge, both verbally and in written communication.
· Demonstrates ability to come across as calm, confident, knowledgeable, helpful and professional, even when dealing with people who are angry or under stress.
This position works part of the time at a desk, part of the time standing or sitting at a workbench, and part of the time travelling to various locations across campus. Work is mostly during normal business hours, but this position will occasionally be required to travel to remote sites, and work some evenings and weekends based on the needs of the organization. During travel the worker will be briefly subject to outside environmental conditions.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES: Stooping, Kneeling, Crouching, Crawling, Reaching, Standing, Walking, Pushing, Pulling, Lifting, Fingering, Grasping, Talking, Hearing, Repetitive motion
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Sedentary work, Light work
APPLICATION: Please email cover letter, resume and names and phone numbers of three professional references to email@example.com. Please name your documents as shown in the following example: (Example: Adams_Amy letter, Adams_Amy resume, Adams_Amy references). You may also mail your application materials to Human Resources/Pacific University, 2043 College Way, Forest Grove, OR 97116.
Application materials will be screened and interview candidates will be selected and notified. The hiring process normally consists of several interviews and can last several weeks depending on the position. Employment is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States and successful completion of a background check. If the position is posted on our job board at http://www.pacificu.edu/hr/employment/positions/index.cfm it is an available position and you may apply. No phone calls please.
DISCOVER PACIFIC UNIVERSITY
Pacific University is a small but diverse community, where students thrive in a personal academic environment. Tracing its roots back to 1849, when it began as a school for orphans of the Oregon Trail, Pacific has long been devoted to making a difference in people’s lives. Nestled in the valley at the base of the coastal range and Mount Hood, the university is only a half hour to the Portland metro center.
Today, students study in a unique combination of undergraduate, graduate and professional programs in the liberal arts and sciences, optometry, education, health professions and business. Pacific University has campuses in Forest Grove, Hillsboro, Eugene and Woodburn, Ore., as well as an office in Honolulu. In addition, a variety of Pacific University health and eye clinics throughout the Portland area serve patients and provide students with practical experience.
At Pacific University, students and faculty engage in discovery through close, nurturing relationships that provide extraordinary learning experiences. International study, service learning, internships and co-curricular activities have been integral parts of the education of nearly 25,000 alumni worldwide who share in the Boxer spirit.
NOTICE OF NONDISCRIMINATION POLICY
It is the policy of Pacific University not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion or religious creed, disability or handicap, sex or gender, gender identity and/or expression (including a transgender identity), sexual orientation, military, veteran or Vietnam Era status in admission and access to, or treatment in employment, educational programs or activities as required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, or any other classification protected under state or federal law, or city ordinance. Questions or complaints may be directed to the Vice President for Academic Affairs, 2043 College Way, Forest Grove, OR 97116, firstname.lastname@example.org.