Frequently Asked Questions | LSS

Who does Learning Support Services for Students with Disabilities (LSS) serve?

We provide services to students who have a disability in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the ADA Amendment Act of 2008, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

What kinds of disabilities can LSS accommodate?

LSS accommodates all disabilities required by law. Students served by LSS have had mobility impairments, visual impairments, learning disabilities, speech impairments, psychiatric disabilities, hidden disabilities, and temporary disabilities.

What type of documentation is acceptable?

Documentation must provide enough information for Pacific University to determine what academic adjustments are appropriate. The amount and kind of information needed depends upon the nature of the disability and the academic adjustments. If you already have some documentation, you may send it to us and we will let you know what kinds of additional information are necessary. For more information, download our Getting Started packet.

When must the documentation be provided?

We encourage you to turn in documentation as soon as possible, so that we may make timely preparations for the accommodations that are required. After you are accepted for admission to Pacific University, download the Getting Started packet and contact LSS with any questions you have.

Where can I get assessed?

There are a variety of clinics that offer disability testing. Visit our Where Can I Get Assessed? page to view some options.

Where can I get documentation of my disability?

If you do not have any documentation of your disability, we encourage you to contact us and discuss your situation, so that we may provide you with the most appropriate suggestions for your specific situation.

What is a temporary disability and can I be accommodated if I have one?

A temporary disability is a disability that is not permanent. It is something that stops you from functioning as you could before. An example of a temporary disability is a broken body part. If you have a temporary disability, contact us right away.

Do I have to make my disability known?

No. You only have to disclose your disability if you want to use any accommodations arranged by LSS. Some students do not currently use accommodations but have registered with us to ensure support in case it is needed in the future.

If I send information about my disability to the Admissions Office am I automatically registered with LSS?

No. Disability information is not provided to LSS by the Admissions Office unless the student requests. Students must register with LSS to receive accommodations.

Is there a fee to receive services?

No, it is unlawful for the University to charge for accommodations. However, the University is not required to provide auxiliary aids of a personal nature, which may include personal devices, personal assistance, readers for personal study, or software for personal use. You may need to pay for these items yourself.

Do I need to register with LSS every semester?

No. You do not need to register with LSS every semester unless your circumstances change in a way that would change the accommodations that you require.

Are there housing accommodations available for students with disabilities?

Housing accommodations can be arranged with help from LSS and the housing department if there is space available. Please contact us as soon as possible.

If you make your request late or after your assignment is made, we may no longer have space available to accommodate you. Requests received after May 15 for fall semester, December 1 for January assignments, or January 1 for February assignments are considered late.

How are services for students with disabilities in college different from services provided in high school?

It is the responsibility of the college student to seek out the office that provides accommodations for students with disabilities, unlike in high school where the school seeks out and identifies students with disabilities. The student must provide documentation about their disability. The school will not evaluate the student's disability.

Often in high school the school maintains contact with the student's parents/guardians to arrange accommodations and track the student's progress, but in college the offices are not allowed to disclose information to outside sources, including the student's guardians, without the student's consent. Therefore, it is vital that the student has the ability to communicate what accommodations they need and discuss what does or does not work.

For additional information about transitioning to a higher education institution, we have provided a copy of a pamphlet from the U.S. Department of Education entitled Preparing for Postsecondary Education.

What other useful resources are available at Pacific University?

In addition to LSS, other helpful resources around the Pacific University campus include the Tutoring and Learning Center, the Writing Resource Center, the Career Development Center, the Student Counseling Center, the Health Center and each student's individual academic faculty advisor.