Pacific University is dedicated to sustainability, which manifests itself as bike rentals here in the Outdoor Pursuits Office. Bike rental programs allow students, alumni, staff and faculty to choose from a selection of on campus bicycles to accommodate their environmentally friendly transportation needs.
Anyone in the university community looking for wheels for a quick ride across campus or town can become a member of the AFree Bike Association. With your free registration, you can pick up a bike at our office in the Milky Way between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
AFree Bikes are Kona one-size-fits-all frames with one-speed gear setups. We use these bikes because they have been proven to be "Africa Tough." In addition to their burliness, our purchase of "Africa One" bikes from Kona supports healthcare workers in remote villages. For every two we buy, one is sent to rural Africa.
If you want to rent a bike for more than a day, check out our long-term rental ReCycle Bikes. You can rent a ReCycle bike from Outdoor Pursuits for only:
|Per Year (Two Full Semesters)||$140|
The yearly rental fee includes a $20 maintenance plan and U-lock. Light packages are also available for as little as $5. Outdoor Pursuits, with the help of Portland-based Community Cycling Center, custom built the ReCycles bikes from discarded and recycled bicycle parts. All proceeds go to support bike education and advocacy programs in our area.
Bike Safety Tips
- Wear a helmet.
- Use lights when riding at night (white in front, red in back).
- Don't ride on sidewalks. Sidewalks are for walking.
- Ride WITH the flow of traffic, not against.
- Signal your turns with your left hand; it's the one cars will see when you ride with the flow of traffic.
- Be aware of your surroundings (you are responsible for your own safety).
- Walk the bike through crosswalks.
- Always lock the frame, not wheels, seats or forks.
- Be seen. Wear bright clothes.
- Maintain your bike.