Mentor Young Women at Girls Today 2022
Girls Today is a one-day conference from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, Oct. 14, 2022, devoted to middle-school aged young women with the goal of empowering young women to make educated, thoughtful and healthy decisions for themselves and their communities.
Attendees will get a campus tour of Pacific University (including a dorm room!), hear from historically marginalized college students about their college experience and attend workshops on healthy relationships, self defense, internet safety, body positivity and identity.
Register by Oct. 1, 2022. Lunch is provided.
Participate in the Conference
Girls Today is currently accepting workshop proposals. Undergraduate and graduate students as well as staff and faculty are invited to submit a workshop proposal.
Workshops are scheduled for 1 hour. Facilitators may be asked to present a workshop twice during the day, depending on your availability and the number of other workshop submissions. Each session will have 10-20 students attending.
Girls Today organizers are looking for presenters on the following topics (although we are certainly open to others too!):
- Healthy relationships with any/all of the following: family, friends, teachers, partners
- Mental health
- Internet safety — exposure to explicit content and what to do, sexting (pressures/risks), sexual harassment, posting hurtful/offensive things (bullying, job/college prospects), unhealthy use
- Horizontal hostility or bullying
- Body liberation/positivity/health, disordered eating
- Healthy sexuality
- Intersecting identities/dealing with micro-aggressions
- Historically marginalized identities thriving in college
Proposals are due by Sept. 23, 2022. You will be contacted by the committee about your submission by Oct. 1.
Girls Today is sponsored by The Center for Gender Equity, Student Multicultural Center, Hawai'i Outreach & Programming, The Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and the American Association of University Women.