Student Call to Action for Black Lives Matter
Dear students of Pacific University,
We hear you. We see you. We stand with you.
Black lives matter now and always.
As the 2020-2021 Undergraduate Student Senate Executive Board, it is a priority of ours to support the physical and mental health along with the well being of the student body. The Student Senate includes individuals from diverse cultures, races, and genders, and our executive board is made up of five women of color. We all stand in solidarity and continue to support you. The COVID-19 pandemic, the unprovoked acts of violence and unjust murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, Tony McDade, and so many others have once again shed light on the racism embedded in our culture. We recognize the impact is even more pronounced for the Black community.
Pain, anger, frustration, disappointment, fear, sadness, and confusion are all valid emotions to be feeling at this time. However, we strive to use this emotion as a catalyst for change. As we witness these injustices, which stem from years of systematic oppression and systemic racism, it is imperative that we use our voice and our privilege to speak up against it and uplift the voices of our Black community members. Not only this, but we must also work together to dismantle these racist systems. As your USS Executive Board, our aim is to integrate inclusivity and connectedness in our programs and events. We will work towards both immediate and long term solutions to implement change within the institution by hearing what students have to say and do our own research on how to best provide support and follow through with these solutions.
We at the USS Executive Board demand change. We stand for the justice of Black individuals and that doesn’t stop at the nature of performative activism. We are here for you now and always. All Black lives matter all the time.
Listed below are ways you can get involved and help support the Black Lives Matter movement and ways to become more educated on issues of racial inequality and how to dismantle racist systems.
Donate and Sign Petitions
- Act Blue charity splits donations between community bail funds nationwide
- Donate to the Black Lives Matter movement
- Justice for Big Floyd petition from the Grassroots Law Project
- Justice for George Floyd Murder/Manslaughter Charges Against Officers Involved petition
- Justice for Breonna Taylor petition for the perpetrators to face charges
- Justice for Tony McDade petition
- Send e-mails to legislators voicing your requests for change
- Visit the Black Lives Matter movement page
- Visit the ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) know your rights page
- Use your privilege to raise awareness
- Call out racism you see in your daily life (friends, family, etc.)
- Watch these TED talks to better understand racism in America
- Listen to these podcasts:
Take care of Yourself and Others
- Check on the people in your life who might be most affected by these events
- Ways to cope with burn out
- Reach out to the USS if you need someone to listen and/or find resources
Your Undergraduate Student Senate Executive Board
Vice President of Leadership
Vice President of Communications
Vice President of Finance
Vice President of Campus Betterment