The first step in preparing to meet with a tutor is understanding what tutors can and cannot do, so you know what to expect from your session.
CLASS peer tutors can
- Guide you to solve problems and understand concepts from your courses
- Help you identify recurring errors in your work and teach you how to fix them
- Work with you to develop effective learning and study strategies
- Help you plan to meet your academic goals
- Relate to you as a peer to provide feedback and understand your concerns
- Help you effectively use appropriate learning resources
CLASS peer tutors cannot
- Teach new material missed in class
- Do your homework for you
- Guarantee an error-free assignment or a better grade
- Help with take-home or make-up tests
- Check all homework problems
CLASS writing tutors assist students writing in any discipline and at any stage of the writing process—from brainstorming and researching to revising and citations. Peer tutors work with you to improve your writing skills; they do not provide drop-off proofreading and editing services.
- Writing tutors will work with you to understand an assignment and help you generate ideas for a paper, but they cannot tell you exactly what to write for your assignments.
- Writing tutors will read your paper to see if it is organized and makes sense, and help you clarify your ideas to improve flow and readability, but they cannot read your paper only for grammatical errors.
- Writing tutors can guide you through the research process, including searching for and evaluating sources, and finding appropriate resources for proper citations and formatting, but they cannot do the research or format your papers for you.
- Writing tutors will help you recognize patterns of errors in your writing and teach you how to fix them, and help you identify areas of strength and areas for improvement in your papers, but they cannot edit or proofread papers for you.
To make an appointment, select your schedule below: