Faculty Information for Working with Students with Disabilities
Working with Students with Disabilities
If you suspect a student has a disability or requires more assistance than you can provide, please refer the student to our office so that we can meet with the student and provide the information, resources and services that will promote their success at Pacific. You can not ask a student if they have a disability, but you can inform him/her of LSS as one of the resources available to Pacific University students.
Please follow the procedure below when working with a student with a disability:
- If a student approaches you and states that she/he has a disability, but is not yet registered with the LSS office, please ask that they call or email LSS as soon as possible. We would also appreciate you notifying us that you have referred a student.
- Once the student contacts us we will meet with him/her and review their eligibility for services. Documentation of their disability must be provided for our files.
- At the student's request a notice of the student's academic accommodations will be shared via BOX with all faculty in whose classes the student is enrolled.
- Any services and accommodations that will be provided in a particular course will be outlined and agreed upon by the student, LSS and the faculty member. If a student requests services that have not been outlined, please contact Kim Garrett to clarify.
- Services can be improved and adapted at any time to best fit the classroom environment.
Please help support students by including this statement in your syllabi:
"Learning Support Services for Students with Disabilities:
Services and accommodations are available to students covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Any student needing accommodations based on the impact of a permanent or temporary condition should contact Learning Support Services to discuss specific needs. Please contact Kim Garrett, Director of Learning Support Service for Students with Disabilities, 503-352-2171, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or stop by the office (Clark 226) to complete and provide necessary documentation. It is extremely important that you begin this process at the beginning of the semester. Please do not wait until the first test or paper."