Apply for the MAT General Education Program
Step One | Complete the School of Learning & Teaching Application
Step Two | Submit the following items:
- Highlight your experience with children and youth
All official college transcripts
Letters of evaluation/recommendation
- Three letters for graduate programs
Essay 2-3 pages in length, choose one of the topics below and use APA format:
- Choose one aspect of your educational career that left you feeling unfulfilled. Do some research on that topic (3 professional-level sources) and, mixed with your personal experiences, suggest how you would improve that aspect.
- How do you think education will be different in a post COVID-19 environment? Do some research on that topic (3 professional-level sources) and, mixed with your personal experiences, elaborate on why you think that.
- How would you build a classroom community with a student who is unable to attend your class in person? Do some research on that topic (3 professional-level sources) and, mixed with your personal experiences, elaborate on what you would do.
Arbor Program MAT (only) candidates submit two essays:
- Describe a situation in which you faced a series of hurdles in the solution of a problem, in learning a new skill set, or in encountering a new domain. What was it about you as a learner that played a role in the way you handled yourself?
Choose ONE of the following:
- Cast your mind back to your own elementary school years. Choose a series of moments, memories, classrooms, friends, teachers (in and out of school) and create a written collage that conveys the essential ideas and questions that continue to influence your thinking about teaching and learning. OR
- Write three profiles of children, one from your K-8 years, one from your experiences working with children, and one of your own choosing. In each profile include your own reactions to the child at the time. What did you think then and how did you respond? In addition, what were the reactions of peers and adults at the time? Finally, what do you think now? Draw some conclusions from these profiles that reveal your thinking about the way in which school served these children.
Step Three | Submit Application Fee
- The fee is $35
- Fee is waived for current Pacific University Students and Arbor Program applicants