How to Apply | Bachelor of Applied Vision Science
The BAVS Program invites students and graduates from international optometry programs who are interested in studying the clinical applications of vision science and optometry. If you are considering a career in clinical practice related to vision diagnosis, low vision, binocular vision, vision therapy, specialty contact lens and myopia control, you are encouraged to apply. Feel free to contact us with any questions.
Online application will be available starting November 1. For now, please submit all your application materials by mail or email before the deadlines specified below.
Deadline: February 15, 2018.
Application are usually received from November 1 to February 15. Early applications will be reviewed upon receiving a complete application.
The BAVS Committee may choose to accept applications outside of the normal application period. <See the details below.>
Required Application Materials
To be eligible for consideration by the BAVS Program Admission Committee, your application and all accompanying materials must be received no later than the above deadlines to be considered.
Applicants from an institute with MOU or special arrangements established with Pacific University College of Optometry should contact the program director, Dr. Shun-nan Yang, for details.
For all other applicants, your application package should include the following items:
- A completed Bachelor of Applied Vision Science Program here.
- Two letters of recommendation, at least one from a class instructor
- Letters should be written on official letterhead with signature of the recommender
- Letters can be sent in two ways:
- Provide a self-addressed, stamped envelope to each individual who provides you a recommendation. Ask each to enclose the letter of recommendation in the envelope, sign it across the seal, and return the envelope to you. Include these envelopes, with seals unbroken and the signatures intact, with your other application materials.
- Recommender(s) can submit a signed letter of recommendation on official letter as an email attachment sent directly from the recommender to the program coordinator at email@example.com.
- An application essay
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Prerequisite worksheet (included in the application form page 7)
- Please fill the Prerequisite Worksheet on the application form based on your final official transcript
- Exempted for applicants with one of the following conditions
- With a bachelor degree or higher in Optometry or related clinical field
- A current student or graduate of a University that has signed a related MOU with Pacific University College of Optometry
- For all other applicants:
- Carefully follow the Prerequisite Worksheet on the application form based on your final official transcript.
- All coursework must be completed within the last 7 years or planned to be completed before the program starts in the fall semester of the same year.
- Proof of English proficiency
- Required for all applicants whose native language is not English
- Conditional admission may be given without report of English proficiency, but requirement of English proficiency must be met before matriculation into the program
- May be satisfied by meeting one of the following conditions:
- Have a bachelor or a graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or from countries where English is both the only official language of the country and the language of instruction.
- Have official documentation from the institution verifying that the applicant's undergraduate degree is from an institution where all instruction is in English. The undergraduate degree must be equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree.
- Meet the minimal requirement on a standardized English Language Proficiency Test listed on admission requirements
- Enroll in special Academic English program design for BAVS students.
- Waived for applicants of current students at Pacific University College of Optometry
- International Credentials Evaluation
- This is waived for students enrolled or graduated from institutions that have signed and effective MOU with Pacific University.
- For applicants of graduates of international college and universities only
- Please arrange for the evaluation received by the application deadline to facilitate the review process
- Course description, course syllabi and/or a course catalog may be requested on a case by case basis
- After initial review of completed application, the BAVS Program Admission Committee may contact candidates for a interview through video-conference interface (e.g., Skype)
The BAVS Committee will make the final decisions on other waiver and conditions of any application requirements.