Internship | Healthcare Management
The internship experience supervised through Pacific University is meticulously designed to provide you with opportunities for professional growth and development as a healthcare manager. Our internship program encourages you to find new healthcare management centered opportunities at your current workplace. You are on the job, in familiar settings, exploring a new career path. If it is your goal to move up in your current organization, the internship experience can be a 120 hour long job training experience if that suits your professional goals! The internship is a time for you to safely explore other career paths outside of your current workplace, too. Employers want to know that you are able to apply the knowledge and skills learned in the classroom to the ever-changing healthcare environment; use your internship experience to show potential employers you are ready to take on new challenges.
The faculty in the Bachelor of Health Science will help guide you through the process of identifying, managing, and completing your internship at either your current workplace or in a different healthcare setting that could lead to new career opportunities upon graduation.
Although your individual goals around internship may vary, we expect all students to:
- Work on communication, marketing, research, administrative and other projects that both help you grow as a professional and meet the needs of the organization with which you are interning
- Work with your preceptor and the Experiential Learning Coordinator to ensure you are meeting the needs of the internship site and Pacific's graduation requirements
- Be intrinsically motivated to succeed
- Possess strong self-management skills
- Respond positively to performance and instructional feedback
- Find purpose, motivation and career inspiration through servant leadership
All students in the College of Health Profession must complete or have evidence of the following:
- Immunizations (cost varies based on insurance coverage)
- Criminal Background Check (approximately $100)
- Drug Screening (approximately $100)
- Current CPR/BLS certification
The costs associated with immunizations, criminal background check, and drug screenings are the responsibility of the student and are dependent on health insurance coverage (immunizations and drug screening) and number of residences (background check). Pacific University School of Healthcare Administration & Leadership utilizes the centralized Background Check and Drug Testing service through Certiphi Screening Inc. Certiphi Screening, Inc. provides background investigations, drug testing and immunization tracking services to higher education institutions across the country. If you have questions about a screening, please use the following contact information:
800-803-9582 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Pacific University will also provide free training through Healthstream in:
- Universal Precautions
- Blood Borne Pathogens
- TB Infection Control
The School of Healthcare Administration & Leadership, along with many experiential sites, requires students to receive CDC recommended vaccinations. All required immunizations and screenings must be updated as necessary in order to continue enrollment in the program at Pacific University. It is the student's responsibility to complete their vaccinations, screenings and titers and to upload copies of their immunization documentation to Pacific University's immunization tracking system which is called myRecordTracker (mRT). This service is paid for by the student and the cost is $2.15 per item to upload documentation to Certiphi Screening's myRecordTracker site. Note that vaccinations or titers that are part of a series, such as the Hepatitis B series, only cost the initial $2.15 fee. There is no additional fee to upload proof of additional vaccinations in the series. Failure to comply with this university policy can affect your admission, enrollment or ability to continue in the BHS program at Pacific University.
- MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella)
- A Two-Step TST or Mantoux, QuantiFERON-TB Gold or Tspot test is required annually for all students due to requirements of our experiential partners
- Tdap (Tetanus-Diphtheria-Pertussis)
- Varicella (Chickenpox) or Varicella Titer
- Hepatitis B (HBV) and Titer - you will be required to have no less than your Hep B #1 and #2 before October 1st. This also applies to students who have had a negative titer and are working on their 2nd series. It is not uncommon for immunity to wane over time, so even if you completed the Hep B series in the past, you may need to repeat the series and then the titer. If you have not received a Hep B titer, please do so ASAP to leave plenty of time to repeat the series should that be necessary.
What skills would you like to build during the 120 hour internship in a healthcare organization of your choosing? Check out this list of places where BHS program graduates completed their internships!