Frequently Asked Questions About Housing

Why should I live on campus?

  • Close to all of the action: All classes are only minutes from your room! You can roll out of bed, brush your teeth, and head to class right before it begins! The Residence Halls are located near the University Center, Stoller Center and “The Quad”—prime spots for most school-sponsored events. You're sure to hear about whatever is going on first by living in the halls.
  • Meet new people: Meet new people everyday—just roam through the halls and chat with other students hanging out in the hall, lounge, or lobby. The residence halls are one of the best places you can make new lifelong friends!
  • 24/7 security: Only a phone call away, CPS can escort you across campus at night, jump-start your car, and regularly patrols campus to keep you safe.
  • So much is included: No need to buy furniture, no monthly bills for utilities or internet, and no coins needed for laundry.
  • The food: All your meals are prepared for you with the meal plan! BUT, if you do get in the mood to make your own meal, just utilize your hall's community kitchen.
  • It's easy to get involved! Want to meet lots of people and build your skills for that resume? There are many opportunities in each hall to get involved in the Residence Housing Association (RHA) or apply to be a Resident Assistant!

What is safety like on campus? [Top]

Our campus is a small one right in the heart of small town Forest Grove.

  • Campus Public Safety Officers are on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with escort service provided upon request. Just call 503-352-2230!
  • Residence hall exterior doors are locked 24 hours a day/7 days a week. Residents have access to their own building 24 hours a day, and can visit other residence halls during the daytime.
  • Fire equipment is located on each wing of every residence hall.
  • Pacific University offers a state-of-the-art alert notification system powered by Omnilert called "Boxer Alerts." Boxer Alerts sends emergency notifications and weather-related campus closures to all registered mobile phones, email addresses and RSS feeds.

How much does room and board cost? [Top]

Housing and meal plan rates can be found here.

When will I find out my room and roommate information?

New students can find information about their application and placement process here.

Can I have a car? [Top]

There is no current restriction on who can bring a car to campus, though you'll need to get a parking permit. Find details on the campus parking page.

Can I change my room assignment?[Top]

Over the summer, students may be informed of a room waitlist option, if one is available. Otherwise, residents can work with their Area Coordinator to request a room change after moving in. Room changes are not provided during the first two weeks of each semester.

May I see my room before I move in? [Top]

Campus residence halls, apartments, and houses are occupied year-round, whether by residential students or summer conference guests. Because of this, we're unable to offer tours of rooms or apartments. However, the Office of Admissions offers scheduled guided tours throughout the year of campus, includes visiting one campus showroom in Walter.

May I be assigned to a single room? [Top]

Single rooms are limited and usually filled by returning students. Most new students are assigned to a double room with a roommate at the beginning of the school year or for the term for which you applied.

Disability-related housing accommodations are determined by Office of Accessibility & Accommodations (OAA). To be considered, please contact OAA.

May I request a specific roommate? [Top]

You may choose to live with someone you already know, however, consider living with someone new. Meeting new people in the residence halls and building community are important parts of the Pacific experience. New students will have an opportunity to match with a particular roommate if they desire, during a limited period over the summer. See here for more information.

 Do I need personal property insurance?[Top]

Pacific does not provide personal property insurance. Property insurance to include loss of property or theft should be provided by the student or the student’s family's insurance policy. Two companies that provide property insurance to college students nationally is National Student Services, Inc. or NSSI and GradGuard. Pacific University expressly disclaims liability for damage or loss to personal property, including theft. Each student is solely liable for the safety of all personal property.

What should I bring? [Top]

We suggest bringing basics at first and waiting until you're in the space to get things like storage bins and decorations. Some suggestions:

  • Sheets and pillow cases (XL twin): 2 sets
  • Blanket/comforter and pillow
  • Mattress pad
  • Towels x 3
  • Laundry hamper and easily transportable bag
  • Laundry detergent
  • Trash bin
  • UL-approved surge protector
  • Hangers
  • Command hooks + strips
  • Small tool kit
  • Fan (no AC)
  • Ear plugs and eye mask
  • Toiletries
  • Multipurpose cleaner/wipes
  • Refrigerator w/capacity ≤ 4.4 cubic feet (coordinate with roommate)
  • Cups and mugs
  • At least one plate, bowl, and set of utensils
  • Small dish soap
  • Disinfectant wipes
  • Shower caddy
  • Bathrobe or wrap
  • Shower slippers/flip-flops
  • All-purpose cleaning supplies
  • Basic medicine and first aid
  • Thermometer
  • Debit/credit cards
  • Original ID documents for employment
  • Health insurance card & phone numbers
  • Car registration
  • Backpack/bag
  • Laptop
  • Headphones
  • Waterproof shoes and jacket
  • Refillable water bottle
  • If you are in a unit with a private bathroom, bring toilet paper, plunger, cleaning supplies, hand soap, shower curtain & a shower rug.

Items that aren't permitted in housing:

  • air conditioners
  • airsoft guns
  • animals
  • barbecue grills, propane, starter fluid
  • beer bongs, or other rapid consumption devices for alcohol 
  • blow torches
  • bread makers*
  • candles with burnt, unclipped wicks
  • dartboards with metal-tipped darts
  • explosives/fireworks
  • firearms and/or ammunition
  • illicit drugs and/or drug paraphernalia
  • hazardous chemicals
  • halogen lights
  • heaters not provided by the University
  • hot plates
  • hover boards
  • knives defined or displayed as weapons (includes blades greater than 4”; culinary knives are allowed)
  • microwaves+
  • large appliances (freezer, dishwasher) and/or refrigerators with capacity greater than 4 cubic feet*
  • toasters/toaster ovens*
  • toilet bowl cleaners that sit or hang in tank or bowl, as they damage toilets
  • paintball guns
  • subwoofer speakers
  • waterbeds
  • weapons, including ornamental weapons and those for martial arts

*Item is permitted in apartment or house kitchens (Burlingham, Gilbert, Vandervelden, houses); Refrigerators 4 cubic feet or less are permitted in all rooms, however a mat must be placed under refrigerators in carpeted areas.

+Microwaves: Residents of Burlingham, Gilbert, or Vandervelden are allowed to have microwaves as long as the microwave is kept on a table.

How much does it cost to do laundry in my residence hall? [Top]

Laundry is included, so no need to bring quarters or load a payment card.

What size are the beds? Do I need to buy extra-long sheets?[Top]

Most beds need XL-size twin sheets.

Can I get the dimensions of my residence hall room? [Top]

Sorry, we don't have specific measurements for each room. If you're looking to purchase something big for your space, we recommend waiting until you move in to see the space in person so you can be sure you get what you need.

As a parent, if I have housing questions regarding my student can you share information with me. [Top]

We are not able to share specific information with you about your student. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is the federal law that governs release of, and access to, student education records.

Where should my family and friends send letters and packages to? Where do I pick up my mail? [Top]

All undergraduate students are assigned a campus mailbox called (UC box) in the University Center and the Mailroom, is located in the lower level. Mail Services will mail you a packet of information with your individual mail box number and address.

New students, if you plan on shipping packages to yourself before you arrive, and to ensure that your packages get to you quickly and efficiently, have the sender include your first and last name and the words “New Student” on the shipping label. When you receive your mail box number from the Mailroom be sure to add that to your package labels as well. When you arrive on campus your packages will be available for you to pick up in the Mailroom. When picking up packages please bring a valid identification card.

Can I have a pet in housing? [Top]

No, pets are not allowed. The only exception is that you may have fish, in accordance with tank size requirements listed in hall policies.

Can I have overnight guests? [Top]

Residents may host overnight guests in their assigned spaces when the following conditions are satisfied:

  1. All roommates approve the guest’s stay and continue to consent to the guest’s stay.
  2. The guest’s stay shall not exceed three consecutive days per month, not totaling more than ten days per semester. Special exceptions are at the discretion of the AC.
  3. If hosting an overnight guest who is not a current Pacific University student, the host must register their guest by 5pm on the night they are staying. To register a guest, use this form. Failure to register an overnight guest according to protocol can result in conduct action. If an overnight guest is younger than 18 years old, they must obtain the express consent of that person’s parent(s)/legal guardian(s) and submit it to their hall’s Area Coordinator prior to or upon the guest’s arrival.

Furthermore, hosts should know that it is against policy to leave their guest unattended and to lend their key card or room keys to a guest. Please see the full Guest Policy in the Residence Hall Handbook for more information about hosting expectations.

How do I request that something in my room/apartment be fixed? [Top]

  • First, fill out the work request form.
    • The link to fill out a work request form is listed on the facilities management website. If it is your first time submitting a request, you must register to submit work requests. All instructions are listed on the Facilities Managament webpage. The work request form is for non-urgent requests for maintenance. Urgent requests such as a broken window, over flowing toilet, power outage, or malfunctioning smoke detectors should be reported immediately to Campus Public Safety by calling (503) 352-2230. 
  • What happens after I submit the form? 
    • If your information is incomplete or vague you will be contacted via your Pacific University email for more information. Because of the volume of requests it may take maintenance staff a week or more to complete.
  • What if I have questions about the request I submitted?
    • If you have questions about the progress of your work request please contact facilities staff member Stephanie Partain 503-352-3060

If I've lived on campus how do I request a rental reference for an off-campus housing property?

Pacific University students or graduates who have lived in university housing and are applying for housing at an off-campus location may ask the Campus Living office to serve as a rental reference. In order for the Housing Office to release information to an outside source, the student or graduate must complete a Student Consent to Release Records for a Rental Reference form and submit it to Once the form is received, it may take up to five business days to process.