Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to do to apply?

Basic Admissions Requirements for all programs:

  • Completed Application
  • TSPC character questions Questions (including written explanation for yes answers and supporting court documentation if appropriate)
  • Official transcripts from each college/university attended
  • Resume detailing experience with children or youth
  • Letters of evaluation/recommendation
  • Essay (see application for details on essay)
  • Application fee (waived for Pacific University graduates)

Please refer to the Apply Now page for program specific details on other items you must submit for admission.

How much is tuition?

Tuition is $814 per semester hour for the 2022-2023 academic year.

When are the program deadlines and start dates?

Schedules for deadlines and start dates for applying to the College of Education can be found in our admissions section.

Can I get my teaching license without getting a master's degree?

The Bachelor of Arts in Education & Learning program and the Bachelor in Education program both lead to an Oregon Preliminary Teaching License. All other College of Education programs are master's degree programs. Licensed teachers may add endorsements outside of Master's programs.

Do I really need to submit official transcripts?

Official transcripts are required for admission. Your baccalaureate degree must be posted on your transcript if you are applying to a master's program. You must submit transcripts from all colleges or universities attended. Official transcripts must arrive at the College of Education either electronically or in a sealed envelope from the issuing college/university.

Where are the classes held?

Classes are held online and in person, depending on the program, on Pacific’s Forest Grove and Eugene campuses. Occasionally classes may meet off campus.

Do I need experience with children/youth before I apply?

We strongly recommend that you observe and/or volunteer in a classroom setting if you have not yet done so.

I won't finish my undergraduate degree until just before the master's program begins. Can I still apply?

Yes. The Admissions Committee may admit you contingent upon completing your bachelor's degree.

How many evaluation forms do I need to submit?

  • The College of Education requires that three evaluations are submitted for the MAT Programs: one from a professor or college instructor, one from someone who has observed you interacting with children/youth, and one from an employer or supervisor.
  • Undergraduate candidates must submit two evaluations: one from a professor or college instructor, one from someone who has observed you interacting with children/youth.
  • Advanced Programs candidates must submit two letters of recommendation, from school administrators, evaluators, or peer teachers, addressing the applicant's professional teaching abilities, relationships with students and staff, and attitudes about improvement of teaching.

Additional evaluations may be submitted, but please no more than five total. The evaluation forms should come from objective sources. Avoid recommendations from friends and relatives.

Do I need to get recommendation letters in addition to the evaluation forms?

The evaluation forms are sufficient. Evaluators may submit a letter of recommendation in addition to the evaluation form. The letters should be current - within the past two years.

What if I can't get a professor to write a letter of recommendation?

Many applicants have been out of school for several years. If you cannot secure a letter of recommendation from a professor, please choose a second person who has observed you interacting with children/youth.

How do I get information about financial aid?

For more information on financial aid, contact the Financial Aid Office at Pacific University at 503-352-2222 or 877-722-8648 ext. 2222 or by e-mail at

When do I need to apply for financial aid?

Apply for financial aid at the same time you apply for admission. You may apply online at Pacific’s code for FAFSA is 003212.

Are there any scholarships available?

Yes. See the Scholarships page.

Can I apply online?

Yes. You can access our application online at:

Are there any online classes?

The College of Education offers courses face-to-face, online, or in a blended format. Formats vary between programs.

Are late applications accepted?

Late applications are occasionally accepted. However, for most programs we admit on a rolling basis, so getting your application in early benefits you!

Where do I send my application materials?

If you have paper copies of application materials (such as transcripts), you can send them to:

Graduate Admissions
Pacific University
190 SE 8th Ave
Hillsboro, OR 97123

Contact Us

Want to learn more about the programs or need to discuss your situation?

Josie Kochendorfer | Assistant Director of Graduate & Professional Admissions
503-352-1435 |

Krisha Hall | Data Specialist for Graduate & Professional Admissions
541-632-8807 |