Barry M. Goldwater Scholarships are intended to provide a continuing source of highly qualified scientists, mathematicians, and engineers by awarding scholarships to outstanding college students who intend to pursue careers in these fields.
Goldwater Scholarships fund eligible expenses for undergraduate tuition, fees, books, and room and board, up to a maximum of $7,500/year. Junior-level recipients are eligible for two years of funding, senior-level recipients are eligible for one year of funding.
- Applicant must have a field of study and career objective in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering.
- Applicants must have outstanding academic records.
- Applicants pursuing careers in medicine are eligible only if they plan a research career rather than a career as a medical doctor in a private practice.
- Applicants must be full-time sophomores or juniors at Pacific University.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
Applicants are evaluated on their demonstrated potential for and commitment to a career in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering and on their outstanding academic performance. An independent review committee will review all applications from each state and recommend the most outstanding nominations from each state for consideration by the Foundation Board of Trustees.
Faculty in Pacific’s Natural Sciences division will nominate students. Applications must be submitted through Pacific’s faculty representative for Goldwater Scholarships (see Pacific’s Goldwater Scholarship Coach, below). Sophomores and juniors in mathematics or natural sciences with very strong academic records may contact Pacific’s Goldwater Scholarship Coach to inquire about applying. Students may not submit applications independently.