English (Literature & Creative Writing) | Academic Advising Handbook
These pages are intended to offer basic guidelines for two categories of students:
- those likely to pursue a degree in a different discipline other than Literature or Creative Writing;
- those likely to pursue a Major or Minor in either Literature or Creative Writing, or both.
NOTE: Please pay close attention to the following abbreviations in the schedule and catalog.
- “ENGL” designates a literature class taught in the English department.
- “ENGW” designates a writing class taught in the English department.
- There are two kinds of writing classes: Expository, ENGW 180, 181, or 182 (formerly ENGW 201, ENGW 202, ENGW 203), and Creative (ENGW 206, 208, 209, 306, 308, 309).
Only an Expository writing class—ENGW 180, 181, or 182 (formerly ENGW 201, ENGW 202, ENGW 203)--meets the Core Writing Requirement.