There is a number of options for facilitating and managing class discussions in Moodle. No matter what type of discussion you choose for your class, creating one starts at the same place.
1. Click on the Turn editing on button at the upper right hand corner of the page.
2. Choose Forum from the "Add an Activity or Resource" menu in the block where you want to add the forum and click add.
3. Enter the title of the forum in the Forum name box and write instructions for how you want students to use forum in the Description box.
4. Select the type of forum from the Forum Type menu:
- Single simple discussion: used for a single topic and all posts are contained on one page.
- Each person posts one discussion: a forum where each person can create one new discussion topic.
- Q and A forum: a forum requiring students to post before being able to view other posts.
- Standard forum displayed in a blog-like format: A forum in which discussion topics are displayed on one page with "Discuss this Topic" links.
- Standard forum for general use: an open forum where instructors and students can start a new topic.
5. Under "Subscription Mode" select how and if you want students to automatically receive emails of posts to forums:
- Optional subscription: participants can choose whether to be subscribed.
- Forced subscription: everyone is subscribed and cannot unsubscribe.
- Auto subscription: everyone is subscribed initially, but can choose to unsubscribe at any time.
- Subscription disabled: subscriptions are not allowed.
6. Forums may also be used as graded assignments. In order to add grades to posts, in the "Ratings" section choose an Aggregate Type and a Grade Scale. Once a student makes a post to the forum, a drop down menu will appear on the post making it easy to assign a grade when you read it.
7. Click Save and return to course when you are done editing settings.