To have students communicate with one another in separate groups, use discussion forums with groups enabled. This configuration will allow the instructor to choose the groups. Students will be able to contribute to only their group's forum, but it is possible for students to view other groups' threads depending how the group forum is configured.
Enabling Groups in a forum:
1. In the course, click the Turn editing on button
2. Click the Update button next to the forum for which to enable groups. The icon looks like this:
3. Scroll to the bottom of the page and change the Group Mode setting to:
- Separate Groups to allow students to contribute and view posts from only their own group.
- Visible Groups to allow students to contribute to their own group, but only view posts from other groups.
4. Click the Save and Display button.