Frequently Asked Questions about the Counseling Center

For what concerns do students seek personal counseling?

Some of the common concerns students address in counseling include adjustment to college or graduate/professional programs, depression, anxiety, grief and loss, healing from interpersonal violence, relationship concerns, academic performance, identity exploration, body image, substance abuse, eating issues, identity exploration, and stress management.

Am I eligible for services?

Enrolled Pacific University students who have paid the Student Support Fee are eligible for services at the Student Counseling Center. In cases where SCC staff determine that your concerns are beyond the Scope of Practice provided by the SCC, you will be referred to mental health providers in the community.

How do I make an appointment to see a counselor?

Call or walk in to the Student Counseling Center to make an appointment. The Center is open Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm and can be reached at 503-352-2191. Generally students are seen within one to two weeks for an initial appointment. Students are also welcome to attend the walk-in hour (noon Monday through Friday) to initiate services at the Counseling Center.

Where are the Student Counseling Centers located?

Forest Grove Clinic 2142 College Way

Hillsboro Clinic 730 SE Oak St, Ste. D

How often can I come for counseling?

Counselors generally see clients on a bi-weekly basis at an agreed upon appointment time.

Are counseling services confidential?

All interactions with the Student Counseling Center are held in confidence and remain confidential. This includes content of sessions, records, scheduling of or attendance at appointments, and progress in counseling. There are some exceptions to confidentiality which students should know about before seeing a counselor. In situations in which a client may present a clear and imminent danger to themself and/or others, Student Counseling Center staff members are required to report this information to proper authorities for the protection of the student and the community. All Student Counseling Center records are kept separate from other University records. Written permission by clients is required to release counseling information. All counselors will discuss confidentiality when students are seen for the first appointment.

What if I don’t feel comfortable with the counselor who is assigned to work with me?

There are times that for various reasons clients don’t feel comfortable with their counselors. The Student Counseling Center works to provide the best possible counseling services and recognizes that at times clients may want to request a different counselor. Clients may contact Dr. Laura Stallings, Director, at 503-352-2191 when such situations arise.

Is counseling only for people who have serious emotional problems?

University and graduate/professional school work can be stressful at times. Many students encounter problems that are not easily resolved, or their usual ways of handling problems aren’t working well for some reason. Counseling can be a helpful means of support to address concerns that may be interfering with a student’s ability to function academically and/or socially.

What if I don’t want to see a counselor and just want some information about mental health issues or concerns students face?

All students are welcome to visit the Student Health and Counseling Centers during business hours to pick up information focused on a variety of health and mental health topics. Also, the Student Counseling Center website provides links to online resources including self-help sites.