Student Accounts

Make A Payment on a Student Account

This section contains information concerning current and future students. If you have questions not answered here, please contact a member of the Business Office Staff. If you have questions regarding your student account please contact Ben Bateman 503-352-2178 or Jayme Wong 503-352-2082.

You can also email the Business Office at



Medical Insurance 2018 - 2019

Waiver deadline for Summer 2018 students is May 1, 2018.

Waiver deadline for Fall 2018 students is August 13, 2018. (site will be available in mid-July for Fall 2018 students)

More information is available on the PacificSource Health Plans website.

Medical Insurance 2017 - 2018

Waiver deadline for Summer 2017 students is May 1, 2017.
 (site will be open 4/18 for students with a Summer 2017 start date)

Waiver deadline for Fall 2017 students is August 13, 2017. (site will be available in mid-July for Fall 2017 students)

More information is available on the PacificSource Health Plans website.

Student Accounts | Important Payment Information


Mail payments to:
Business Office
Pacific University
2043 College Way
Forest Grove, OR  97116
Make sure the student’s full name and ID number is on check.

Semester Payment Plan Due Date
Fall 2018 August 15, 2018
Spring 2019 January 15, 2019

Monthly Payment Plan  (must opt-in via BoxerOnline, $40/semester fee)

Due Dates
Fall 2018 August 15, September 15, October 15, and November 15, 2018
Spring 2019 December 15, 2018, January 15, February 15, and March 15, 2019

$50 per month late fees will be applied after the semester ten-day grace period. It is important that deadlines are met to avoid additional fees as well as to experience timely registration for subsequent semesters. Charges incurred after initial statement and/or refunds are disbursed are subject to late fees if not paid in 30 days. Please review all university correspondence sent to your Pacific email for requirements and deadlines.

If you can't make a payment, contact the Business Office as soon as possible to inform them of your situation and your attempts to make payment. They can further help you and give you advice on what to do for your situation.

If you already have insurance, fill out an Insurance Waiver Form by the deadline.

Refunds and credit balances (pdf)

Student Loans

Can I receive a Short Term Loan before I receive my refund check?

Yes. Short Term Loans are available to current students who will be receiving student loans and will have excess funds after all of their obligations are paid on their student account. The maximum amount we loan is $2,000 and there is a non-refundable fee of $25.
 Please call the Student Accounts office at 503-352-2178 for questions.

Promissory Note for Short Term Loan (pdf)  Application deadline for students who have a Summer 2018 semester is April 15, 2018.  Application deadline for MFA (Master of Fine Arts in Writing) students who have a Fall 2018 semester is June 1, 2018.

Questions about Perkins or Health Profession Loans?
 The Student Account Specialist, Hope Villanueva, can help you with questions about Perkins Loans and Health Profession Loans. 
For information on your Perkins loan, you can visit the My Campus Loan website. For real-time access to your account information, or to make payments, update addresses or sign up for Auto-Draft, visit the My Campus Loan website.

What do I do after I graduate? 
Update your contact information regularly. If you get married or move, let the loan company know as soon as possible to avoid any confusion.

What if I can't make a payment?
 Call Campus Partners 1-800-344-8609 or Hope Villanueva 503-352-2071 or

Do I need to sign a promissory note every year?
 Yes. Please contact the Financial Aid Department.


Important Notes about Form 1098-T

  • Pacific University offers your 1098‐T form online through Boxer Online.
  • Access to your 1098‐T will be available by January 31 each year so you don’t  have to wait for it to arrive in the mail to complete your tax return, and you have the ability to print a copy when you need it.
  • Paper copies of this form will be mailed out by January 31 of each year unless you complete the Electronic Consent Form online prior to January 15.
  • You can consent to only receive your form electronically by doing the following:

o  Go to o  Log in and access the Student Menu    o  Select the “Electronic Form 1098T” link

  • Once you consent, you will NOT be mailed a 1098‐T and your consent will apply to the current year and any years after unless consent is revoked.
  • You may withdraw consent to only receive your 1098‐T form electronically at any time by logging back in and removing consent.
  • Please note…Pacific University will not dispense tax advice and we are unable to answer any questions that relate to determining your tax credit eligibility. You must consult a tax advisor for this information. Additional information can be obtained on the internet at
  • Please contact the Technology Help Desk at 503‐352‐1500 or should you need assistance accessing your Boxer Online account, including password resets.
  • Contact the 1098‐T Hotline at 503‐352‐3198 if the following does not answer your questions.

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

What is the 1098-T form?

The 1098-T form is used by eligible educational institutions to report information about their students to the IRS as required by the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997. Eligible educational institutions are required to submit the student’s name, address, taxpayer’s identification number, and enrollment and academic status. Beginning with 2003, educational institutions must also report amounts to the IRS pertaining to qualified tuition and related expenses, as well as scholarships and/or grants, taxable or not. A 1098-T form must also be provided to each applicable student.  This form is informational only. It serves to alert students that they may be eligible for federal income tax education credits. It should not be considered as tax opinion or advice. While it is a good starting point, the 1098-T, as designed and regulated by the IRS, does not contain all of the information needed to claim a tax credit.  There is no IRS requirement that you must claim the tuition and fees deduction or an education credit. Claiming education tax benefits is a voluntary decision for those who may qualify.


Why did I receive a 1098-T and what am I supposed to do with it?

In January of each year, Pacific University provides an IRS Form 1098-T to all students who had qualified tuition and other related educational expenses billed to them during the previous calendar year. This form is informational only and should not be considered as tax opinion or advice. It serves to alert students that they may be eligible for federal income tax education credits. Receipt of Form 1098-T does not indicate eligibility for the tax credit. To determine the amount of qualified tuition and fees paid, and the amount of scholarships and grants received, a taxpayer should use their own financial records.

Please note that it is the taxpayer’s responsibility to determine the amount of qualified tuition and fees paid, and to determine whether or not they are eligible for any tax credits and how to calculate them.  While it is a good starting point, the 1098-T, as designed and regulated by the IRS, does not contain all of the information needed to claims a tax credit. You should use the 1098-T Form in conjunction with your own financial records and  your student detailed account history in determining your eligibility for the tax credit.

There is not an IRS requirement that you must claim the education credit.


Did you send a copy of this form to the IRS?



Why isn’t there an amount in Box 1?

The IRS instructs institutions to report either payments received (Box 1) or amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses (Box 2) on the 1098-T. Once an institution has selected one of these options, they cannot change reporting methods between calendar years without IRS permission. Pacific University reports qualified tuition and related expenses that were billed during the tax year (Box 2) and scholarships and grants. Therefore, Box 1-Payments Received for Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses, will be blank.


What other information do I need to claim the tax credit?

While it is a good starting point, the 1098-T, as designed and regulated by the IRS, does not contain all of the information needed to claims a tax credit.  Most of the information needed must come from the student’s personal financial records of what the student paid during the calendar year. Additionally, each taxpayer and his or her tax advisor must make the final determination of qualifying expenses.  You can access financial information via your account and print out your student account history that details tuition and payments on account.


Do the “Amounts Billed” figures in Box 2 of my 1098-T equal the “Qualified Expenses” I can claim as I file my taxes?

Not necessarily. The University is required to provide the “amounts billed” and “scholarships and grants” figures to help you determine the amount of qualified expenses you can claim. Taxpayers may claim an education tax credit only with respect to qualified tuition and related expenses paid (not billed) during the calendar year. You will need to review your payment records to determine the actual qualified expenses paid. Remember that qualified amounts paid by student loans may count as payment eligible for these purposes. Scholarships and grants received may reduce your eligible payment amounts.  See IRS Publication 970 for information to determine your qualified expenses paid amount.  Please remember that billing occurs at registration, so any pre- registrations will be included on the 1098-T tax form in the year in which the registration/billing occurs. If the amount in Box 2 includes amounts for the upcoming academic year, Box 7 of the 1098-T tax form will be checked to alert the student.


I did not keep information on my payments and student loan disbursements. Where can I get copies?

You can email to request this information.


What amounts appear in Box 4-Adjustments made for a prior year?

This box shows the amount of any tuition and fees reductions in the current calendar year for charges that were billed in a previous calendar year and reported on the previous year 1098-T tax form.


How did the University figure out what amounts to include in Box 5-Scholarships or Grants?

The figure in Box 5 includes scholarships, grants and, if applicable, payments made by a third party under formal billing arrangements. This includes payments received from governmental and private entities such as the Department of Veterans Affairs and the Department of Defense.  Please note that this is information only and it is the student’s responsibility to determine the taxability of the amounts in Box 5.


What amounts appear in Box 6-Adjustments to scholarships or grants for prior year?

This box shows the amount of any scholarship, grant, or third party payment reductions in the current calendar year for aid that was credited and reported in a precious calendar year.


Why is there no check mark in Box 8-at least part time?

Box 8 will not be checked if you were not enrolled in at least a half-time status during an academic period which is either enrolled or billed during the calendar year.


What is the purpose of Box 9-graduate student?

Box 9 will be checked if you were enrolled as a graduate student for at least one academic period during the calendar year. If Box 9 is checked, it alerts the student and IRS in determining the allowable tax credit and that the student is beyond the first four years of post-secondary education.


What if my 1098-T has the incorrect social security number on it?

The single most important information on the form is your Social Security Number. You must submit a written request to change or correct your SSN by mail or in person to the Registrar’s Office.  You may be required to supply a signed, legible copy of your Social Security card or complete form W-9S (Request for Student’s or Borrower’s Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification).  Form W-9S is the official IRS form used to state your SSN.  You need only complete Part I of this form when requesting a 1098-T. Enter your SSN in the spaces marked “Taxpayer Identification Number”.


I am a foreign student. Can I claim a credit?

Generally, foreign students cannot claim a credit and the University does not issue 1098- T forms to foreign students.  However, some foreign students may be eligible.  Please review IRS forms, instructions and publication for guidance.


I have not received my paper 1098-T. What address was it mailed to?

If you successfully consented to receive the electronic version of the form, you will not receive a paper form in the mail.  Once you consent to view your form electronically only, all future forms will be submitted to you in this way unless your revoke your consent. If you did not consent to this, contact the 1098-T Hotline at 503-352-3198 to verify your address. The form will be mailed to the address listed on your MyAccount page.


My name listed on the 1098-T has changed. What do I need to do to change it?

Your name is a key element of your tax information. Please contact the Registrar’s Office for procedures on name changes so that the University has up to date information.


My address listed on the 1098-T has changed. Will this affect me when I file my tax return?

The address shown is irrelevant for IRS income tax filing purposes.  However, you should update your address in MyAccount so that the University has the most up to date information.

Note:  Please be advised that Pacific University is prohibited from providing legal, tax or accounting advice to students and we are not responsible for any use you make of this information.


For additional information, including specific instructions for the 1098T form and Publication 970 – Tax Benefits for Education, please visit

Need a Canadian tax form?

If you are a Canadian student and you need a tax form, please fill out the form below and turn it in to Dawn Andresen in the Business Office. If you do not fill out a form, you will not receive a Canadian tax form.

Canadian Tax Form (pdf)