Degree Requirements | Clinical Psychology PsyD
Students entering the PsyD program must complete requirements for the Master of Arts in Clinical Psychology before they may advance to Doctoral candidacy, apply for an internship, or defend their dissertation.
The Master of Arts in Clinical Psychology and Doctor of Psychology degrees typically can be completed in five years of full-time study, with four years devoted to coursework and practicum and one year designated for the internship. Students earn the MA upon completion of the 45 credits designated for this degree.
- Completion of required, track, and selective courses (minimum 135 credits) with a B or better (minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 in degree requirements)
- Completion of MA in Clinical Psychology
- Completion of three terms each of Practicum I and Practicum II (21 credits total), with a minimum of 16 hours of clinical work per week
- A minimum of 1,500 training hours of internship (either full-time supervised clinical experience for one calendar year, or a comparable half-time supervised clinical experience for two consecutive years)
- Approval and defense of a dissertation
- Attendance at two SGP Annual Diversity Conferences
- Completion of the Interprofessional Competence sequence (CHP 510/511)
- Attend at least two Interprofessional Case Conferences, and complete a minimum of 4 additional hours of interprofessional training
Students must complete all requirements for the MA within three years of matriculation and PsyD requirements in an eight-year period.